For the log-flume naysayers...

Just back from our East Coast trip and enjoyed Shenandoah at Dominion and Le Scoot at BGW. Le Scoot had the longest line in the park both Thursday and Friday, longer than Verbolten. Very popular with BG guests. Shenandoah was a walk on, but everything was as Dominion was absolutely dead on Tuesday and Wednesday.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Sounds like the schools are already in session.......

I've always been a fan of classic log flumes. WWL was always one of my favs. Another one I really like is Log Chute at Nickelodeon Universe in Mall of America. The last time there, it was themed around Paul Bunyon, not sure if it still is. It was a blast! Wife and I rode it a couple of times.

As a college and highschool student I can confirm that school is in session. But for the love of pete, someone on this site please explain to me why log flumes are so great. You're going way over my head.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

A park without a log flume is like going to McDonalds and not getting any fries. It just isn’t right. XD

But why though? Why isn't it right. Seriously, I can't see all the buzz around log flumes.

Am I missing some sort of brain wiring or something?

Last edited by Skyhawk06,

I'd rather be sailing

Yes, you are missing something. You are missing the greatness that is a log flume.

Last edited by Urumqi,

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

Should I give you my thrillseeking background or something? Seriously, what about log flumes make them so great? Or is it that difficult to explain something subjective?

I'd rather be sailing

Long flumes are fun and a nice change of pace from the other rides. A log flume used to be a staple, a park without a log flume was like a park without a carrousel.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

On Friday I spent 9-hours in the park with a 5 year old who is 45". You can only go around in circles and bounce on the Kite Eating Tree so many times. Even the Dodgems got old. A flume ride would have been nice. Cedar Point needs more family rides you can enjoy with the little ones.

And a log flume with good theming makes for a really cool experience. Splash Mountain is my favorite attraction at WDW. Timber Mountain is close to being as good as Splash Mountain. They’re just enjoyable rides.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

In addition to what Pete (and others) said, they are also something the entire family can enjoy together. They are true family rides with a mild thrill rating and low height requirements.

It's really easy to disregard the greatness of true family rides when you don't yet have a family of your own.

A well rounded park often has them for all the reasons listed.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I'm in my 30's with no kids and I still enjoy log flumes. Not every ride has to be an intense toss and turn coaster for it to be enjoyable.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

^^^ This is something that CP is lacking. The options of rides for a family of 4, with one child over 48" and one at 44", to ride together are as follows:

Pipe Scream, Ocean Motion, Ferris Wheel, Sky Ride, Train, Carousals, Monster, and a lot of Kiddie rides.

Those kiddie rides they would have been riding for a long time and probably have no desire to continue riding. This is the lowest hanging fruit for CP to improve. It may not excite the thrill seeker crowd, but it will fill hotel rooms and increase in park spending. The typical family of four will spend an ungodly amount more than just about any other set of guests.

Skyhawk06 said:

The main reason I'm probably not seeing eye to eye with all of you on this is because I feel like a majority(80%) of this site's users have kids and are more interested in family than adrenaline rushes. I don't have kids, nor an interest in them, and I'm the only one in my family who is really a thrillseeker. So, if the park gets one, that's fine by me, and if the park doesn't, then that's also fine.

34, no kids and I love flumes because they don't get me soaked. There has yet to be a log flume ride I haven't enjoyed. I just think they're fun rides.

I didn't Zamperla made flumes and it's nice to see they do. Honestly, the area that was announced that includes this ride looks awfully similar to what CP announced (so far). It includes some ropes courses and challenges.

Personally, I would love to see a Mack version. Slightly better capacity with boats that can seat up to 6 instead of 4. Traditional conveyor belt lifts, and even some sections that can be made so the boat travels backwards.

Flumes are good fun for all ages. They were my ride of choice before I was big/brave enough to ride roller coasters.

My oldest nephew, his wife and I just made our first trip to KI to ride coasters. We took time out to ride the Charlie Brown flume and it was a good time. We enjoyed the Boo Blasters too.

Good point Uncle Steve. Mill Race was my first big ride as a kid that had a drop in it. That is why they make great family rides, they are not intimidating, everyone can enjoy the ride and they offer just enough thrill so that no one is frightened away. Very young kids, mom and dad and grandpa and grandma can all ride.

One of the things CP made a mistake with on Shoot-the-Rapids v. 2.0 was putting a tall roller coaster like drop in it which took that family friendly design out of it for the most part.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

^ And the fact that the biggest drop wasn’t the last drop. Come on, Cedar Point, that’s Log Flumes 101.

I thought Log Flumes 101 was that the boats should float, or was that advanced log flumes.

I always found WWL and some of the bigger old school flumes pretty thrilling, particularly the drop. That drop is still pretty tall and steep, and compared to a coaster you have nothing holding you in. I always had a death grip on the hand bars because it felt so unnatural to be dropping down that far and fast just straddling the bench. The high part where you floating around for 30-40 seconds before drop just added to the anticipation. Add the fact you are doing this all in just a boat (well half tracked boat) made my stomach get in more knots compared to your average coaster.

Last edited by Joe E,

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service