Hotel Breakers - Needs better restaurants

I've not had the perch at Thirsty Pony (I'm always tempted by the Fricker's teriyaki wings), but based on Kevinj's recommendation above I'll try it next time. Except now I want to try that taco place downtown too. I'll probably never stay at Breakers, but this has been a useful discussion. :D

Thirsty Pony's is OK but I've had better. They give you a lot of perch but the last time I had it there it was a little on the fishy side, like it was too old. The best perch in Sandusky IMHO is at The New Sandusky Fish Company. Best and freshest perch you can find. It's a little shack on the shore, they have some outdoor seating or you can go to the nearby park and eat. Dockside Cafe also has some great perch in addition to the Walleye Tacos. Great food in general with amazing views. Both of those places will have better perch than Thirsty Pony and are not too far from the park. I linked their Facebook pages for your convenience.

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Thank you - my buddy (who despises any fish) is going to love it. LOL I'm thinking Dockside might be best considering that. I love trying regional specialties when I travel, him - he's more of a TGIF kinda guy. ;)

New Sandusky Fish Co. Hands down best fish. It is a true fish shack, and they filet and clean the fish for local fishermen in the back, so you know its fresh.

Dockside Cafe, part of the public marina in Sandusky, does have great tacos. In addition to great views of the bay from their little patio. Be aware though that seating is limited and it can get pretty popular during the weekend evenings.

corpkid said:
Staying at Breakers for three nights next week (Sun-Weds) with my best bud and was wondering where the best post-park watering holes/hangouts are? The last time I went to CP I don't think I was even old enough to drink. LOL

My favorite spots 40 years ago were Barone’s Beer Barrel and the Old Dutch. Barone’s is sadly gone, but, the Old Dutch is still there.

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

There's a reason McDonald's has 10,000 + restaurants; people like familiar things. You and I may wish for unique offerings, but a lot of people take comfort in TGI Friday's, i know that, let's eat there! Likewise DQ and McDonald's.

Not everyone is an adventuresome eater.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

That statement is more apparent when you consider how tired people get walking around the park. Lots of people aren't looking to explore food offerings when they are at an amusement park. The rides are adventure enough.

Maverick since '99

This thread makes me realize how strangely people seem to like franchise restaurants, all while many of them are struggling. I'll hit a Chipotle or Pei Wei now and then, but otherwise it's pretty rare that I don't stick to local places. The big franchises are generally overpriced, too salty and microwavey crap.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Easy to say when Walt Disney World is considered a “local place”...

ROUNDABOUND.

Not at all. When I lived in Seattle, the franchises just weren't around, so you had to go local. I think that's when I realized how crappy the chains are.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Brand recognition is stronger than expected quality.

Maverick since '99

Jeff said:
When I lived in Seattle, the franchises just weren't around

But... Joey. And Earl’s, too, but Joey...

I had no idea that was a chain.

Orlando has some great local restaurants that makes it really easy to stay away from franchise places. I could eat at Yellow Dog every day and be perfectly content with my choice.

Urumqi said:

Also, had breakfast at Perkins and the food was terrible. 2 out of 2 times the food was sub-par. We will not eat breakfast on the point again. Any suggestions for places innsandusky for a good breakfast? As an aside, we stopped at Berry’s bagels on our drive home and liked it (is that an Ohio chain?) While there we met a Sandusky man who apparently recognized that we “weren’t from around there.” He asked my daughters where they were from, welcomed them to Sandusky and then went to his car and returned with a stack of NASA stickers for them. They were star struck to meet “an astronaut.” The kindness and genuineness of the Sandusky residents are assets for the area and have always proven to be amazing ambassadors. If you’re listening cedar point, tap into these resources!

Barry's bagel's is out of Toledo, OH.

I hope Friday's stays, its the right type of restaurant for the location, and their Barbados rum punch is perfect on the beach. If you want local leave the park and go local. I don't want park locations siphoning off the customers from the true locations to the point where they shutter and leave the town empty. I second the suggestions already made

Small City Tap House - incredible tap selection and the sushi is great.with a cool atmosphere

New Sandusky Fish Co - True fish shack experience.

Berardi's - invented Cedar Point's fries, good diner food.

Tofts Creamery - why eat at the park when you can eat where it's made?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service