Questions about picnic shelters

Just curious if anyone uses or has used the shelters at the left front of the park? I'm coming up in a few weeks and in the interest of saving money, I thought about doing that instead of paying the high prices for mediocre food in the park. I read somewhere they are first come first serve. Is there usually plenty of tables to put your cooler on if you get there first thing in the morning? Also, has anyone had any trouble with their stuff getting stolen or messed with? I'd appreciate any input.

If you arrive first thing in the morning you should have no problem finding a spot for your cooler. The only "theft" we've had over the years is from the birds and seagulls. If you bring bread, make sure it is completely hidden or in a zippered bag. We also like to cover our cooler/bags with our table cloth, tucking the table cloth under the cooler keeping everything together.

To put it simply, I've never not used the picnic areas (back when Gatekeeper wasn't around, though, we always used the picnic area to the right of the entrance ;)). Like Detroit Basketball said, theft doesn't happen, and it's there for you first thing in the morning. Would definitely recommend.

# of rainy back row night rides after the park closes on Steel Vengeance: 1

That’s amazing that your stuff isn’t messed with. At Darien Lake you may as well put a FREE STUFF sign on your cooler etc if you leave it unattended on a picnic table. It’s ridiculous.

ROUNDABOUND.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

DRose, if you chnage your mind and do happen to eat in the park: Chick-Fil-A, Waggon Wheel Pizza, Ms. Keat’s, the Sidewinder Sue’s place, Happy Friar, and Melt Bar & Grilled, Chickie’s & Pete’s would be my recommendations. Yes they are pricey, but the food at those locations is always good when I get it.

Jake Padden
13-Tiques/Wave Swinger
12-Camp Snoopy; Tiques/Wave Swinger
11-CP & LE Railroad Platform; Cedar Creek Mine Ride; Tiques/Wave Swinger

I'll second Sidewinder Sue's.

Brandon

Or if you are looking to make an inexpensive lunch, you can walk out of the park to the marina or camper stores and buy sandwich supplies, chips, microwaveable foods (and they have microwaves and grills you can use) and other sundries at very reasonable prices ( and you get a platinum pass discount as well).

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I did eat at Chickie and Pete's last summer and it was good, and chic fil a is always good. We'll be there for 3 full days so I'm sure we'll at least eat dinner at some of the in-park restaurants but it's good to know about the picnic shelters in case we want some cheap lunch options. Thanks everyone for the input.

djDaemon said:

I'll second Sidewinder Sue's.

The new fries are our new go-to snack. I also like how you can modify them as you like, with "just fries" only about 6 bucks (which isn't too bad considering the nice pile you get). They don't display this on the menu, but you can strip 'em down for the reduced price and add individual toppings for a buck each.

Promoter of fog.

I’m confused to the support being given to Chick and Pete’s. We went for the first time last month and laughed at the poor quality of selection and food. It was abysmal.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

I have to second that. And third. Granted we haven't tried this season, but only because each visit every year since it opened the quality of off is about up there with a TV dinner. No thanks.

Promoter of fog.

Famous Dave's is our favorite. Although we're not eating there as much this year due to the parking situation.

Chic-fil-A is the worst, especially on the dining plan. Frontier Foldovers and Miss Keat's Smokehouse are both decent.

I rode GateKeeper the other day and saw the picnic shelters are gone. Anyone happen to know why?

Weather Freak
Ride Warrior

I'll second Famous Dave's.

So will I.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service