3D Imagery of Cedar Point in Google Earth

This came to my attention in an image from another topic, but as far as I know it hasn't been discussed in detail...

In recent months, as anyone who frequently uses Google Earth might know, Google has been using an auto-generated 3D mesh to render the buildings of entire cities (as opposed to user-made buildings), which started with select major cities and has since expanded to numerous smaller cities and towns.

Not too long ago, Cedar Point - along with the rest of Sandusky - received one of these 3D meshes.

Unfortunately, it's dated to July 2012, meaning that GateKeeper isn't there (the old entrance, Space Spiral, and a partly dismantled Disaster Transport are still visible). Still, I think it looks very nice. I'm just happy to finally see CP get detailed 3D imagery in GE.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Perpetual Obsession,

I am not sure if this is the 3d mesh or not but during the discussion of the Magnum path - I fired up google maps/earth and saw some rather poor melding of the maps where the trees and the beach come together by the pretzel and Soak City - look rather strange actually. I wasn't sure what the deal was but maybe it is the 3d mesh you are referring to. It was only when zoomed all the way it that it looked really bad.

Cedar Point guest since 1974

I can see what you're talking about - I think it does have to do with how the mesh was generated. I've noticed that the mesh tends to have trouble creating trees and other non-buildings (not just in CP, but other places as well).

Overall though, it looks great. Its much better than zooming in on Raptor on google maps and noticing on the first drop the ride is broken.

I am not able to see the 3D Imagery please share the link or images so that i could see and comment on the Virtual tour.

Go to earth.google.com, download the web version plugin and you're there.

It's pretty cute, like a primitive RTC.

Anyone know where I can get the latest Cedar Point aerial imagery? Google Earth/maps footage is from 2012, but every other major city or amusement park I check, their image is from 2015. What gives?

CP has better anti-satellite weaponry. :)

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

If you're looking for newer imagery, go to http://erie.iviewauditor.com/Map.aspx and zoom in to CP. The latest imagery on here is from before the 2015 season started.

I'm curious when Google Earth will be including elevation.

I'm pretty sure it already does.

Brandon

Thanks codeGR, that helped. I was trying to get an idea of how the Hotel Breakers reno looks. I expected more land cleared for, hypothetically speaking, a possible Soak City expansion (*wink wink cough cough) following the removal of the Bon-air section, but it doesn't seem so. Looks like they just added more parking space.

Last edited by CPGuru,

There's also TerraServer, which has imagery from just last September. I think the maps codeGR provided are better, though, as they're higher-quality and don't contain any watermarks.

Last edited by Perpetual Obsession,

Sorry to bring back one of my old topics, but I just noticed that the 3D imagery for CP on Google Earth/Maps has just been updated—this time around mid-2017. Not only are GateKeeper and Valravn now visible in all their 3D glory, but we get to see Steel Vengeance under construction as well!

If you have google cardboard or one of those cheap VR headsets to put your smartphone in, Google has a VR version of google earth in the cardboard app. It's so freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, you can't search for specific locations but if you fly straight up it gives you some cities to go to. Closest to CP is Chicago, and if you go straight up from there, then fly straight down without selecting a city, you can quickly fly down towards where you want to go. Took me a while to find Cedar Point the first time because I didn't realize how tiny it was from the height I was at, but I was amazed when I found it. You can't get too close to the ground but it's still pretty cool.

Edit: Just looked at it. That's so awesome that it updated. The dinosaur looks much better. Before it was just a 3d blob with a T-rex shadow lol.

Last edited by ValravnCP,

R.I.P Luminosity ~ 2012-2017 ~ Greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth
Steel Vengeance rides: 20

Well it’s about time! I was tired of looking at Disaster Transport half way demolished.

Edit: Just looked at it. The park overall looks much brighter. Everything looks great though!

Last edited by CoasterKyle1121,

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Finally can see Valravn in 3D goodness!

Sacrificing playing video games to ride roller coasters.

Although I'm a bit sad I can't see my beloved Skyscraper anymore.

At least the stadium and original Luminosity stage are there to look at! :D

Last edited by ValravnCP,

R.I.P Luminosity ~ 2012-2017 ~ Greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth
Steel Vengeance rides: 20

I'm not seeing the updated view? Am I missing something?

First rollback on Dragster July 23 2003 since then 15

I get GateKeeper, but Valravn is just a brake run and Challenge Park is intact.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service