Witches Wheel

Anyone know what's wrong with whitches wheel? Was there last Friday night and it was half way up and idle. No lights nothing.

Just curious.

Ride on!

It was running as normal yesterday.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

Rode it yesterday, but it was down the day before. Saw it running this morning as well before we left.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Oh No!!1! A ride broke down!!1! Hurry! Make a new thread!!!11!!

Seriously though. Machines break. No need for a new topic every time a ride goes down for more than a few hours.

I understand that people can sometimes overreact to rides being down, but I don't think this thread is one of those. If Witch's Wheel was suspended halfway up, that's different than if it is just sitting there not operating.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

We saw that on Friday and joked that it had to be one hell of an evac!
But what I knew was that it was getting maintenance of some kind. I thought it looked small, too, but obviously that's because we never see it in a raised position unless it's spinning with the cars flared out. I did take it's picture, simply because it was such a rare sight.
And that's all the thought I gave it.

Chuck Wagon said:
If Witch's Wheel was suspended halfway up, that's different than if it is just sitting there not operating.

Well, it's different in that it's halfway up instead of horizontal. Has it ever been not operating whilst being halfway up since 1977? The folks at the park know what's necessary to operate and maintain their equipment.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

I just rode it Thursday night around 9:30 or 10:00 and it was spinning like a boss.

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

Chuck Wagon said:

I understand that people can sometimes overreact to rides being down, but I don't think this thread is one of those. If Witch's Wheel was suspended halfway up, that's different than if it is just sitting there not operating.

Not really, they put it half way up if they need to do maintenance on the mechanical pieces in the pit. I think there is even a jack stand of sorts that they put in place to securely hold it in place when the techs go down into the pit to work on it.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I saw a mechanic working in the pit last Friday evening.

If all the players are ready...at the sound of the bell, ROLL EM!

Gatekeeper2013 said:
Oh No!!1! A ride broke down!!1! Hurry! Make a new thread!!!11!!

Seriously though. Machines break. No need for a new topic every time a ride goes down for more than a few hours.

Really? Stop being a jerk. Just asking a question. Was wondering what was wrong.

What Pete said is correct. The only way to access the equipment under the main arm is to raise the wheel up and lock it. You typically see this a lot preseason while they are getting the ride ready for the summer. It's normal for Enterprises.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know why the height restriction is 54"? My 53 1/2" son wanted to ride it over the summer when I was there and I don't understand that one. Raptor, Rougarou, I get, the otsr's. But on witches wheel you're just sitting on a seat with no restraints and a cage around you.

I would have to say that it's probably due to the parks insurance underwriter,as the manufacturer states that the minimum height requirement is 48". Legally they can increase the height limit, just can't go below the manufacturers standard.

DRose said:
But on witches wheel you're just sitting on a seat with no restraints

Perhaps you answered your own question.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

On Witches Wheel, you're also pinned to your seat by centrifugal force and in a locked cage that is impossible to escape from. 48" would work quite well.

The former height restriction on WW was even stranger. I believe it used to be 48" with a responsible person and 60" by yourself.

Since there is no restraint or belt, riders must have legs line enough to support themselves against the nose of the cabin should it come to a stop while in the elevated position.
That happened on KI's giant enterprise, Skylab, one day when I was there. The people that were stranded in the facing downward position basically had to stand.

Last edited by RCMAC,

^But then why do many Enterprises have 48" restrictions?

Personally, I'm too short to have my feet against the nose of the car even though I'm about 64" tall (below average for an adult male, but well above the height restriction) and if I want to brace I have to put my feet on the smaller platforms closer to you near the edges of the car.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service