Marina fire

I just saw a few photos that showed a fire from the marina, near pier 52. Lots of smoke, enough to close Blue Streak and possibly Raptor too.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

Here is a photo of said fire that my buddy sent to me.

http://i.imgur.com/6WOdzj2.jpg

Some more info from the Sandusky Register.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201708140026

Here is another.

http://i.imgur.com/RfgFHGK.jpg

Ride-on

We were actually driving on Perimeter when it was going super hot. Black smoke and huge flames. The wind was blowing the cloud over the bay instead of over the park. Everything is still operating it seems. Raptor has actually been down all day. The ran empty trains for several hours but as of 30 minutes ago it was still down.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

So this just happened? Oh my goodness, would that ever suck.
Damage to the boat and surrounding ones is one thing, but I sure hope everyone is ok and anyone nearby got away from it safely. Perhaps a saving grace is that it's Monday and the Marina isn't quite as busy.

That's a shame. Those fires can get very bad very fast. Just a few days ago, there was a fire started on the main land that burnt up ten boat houses and a lot of boats (mostly Lyman boats based on what I heard, for those who care).

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Fuel fire on one boat, spread to another boat and a jet ski. Fire is out. No one on either boat.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

After watching some aerial news footage of the fire, its fortunate that this didnt spread to more boats. Id be curious what sparked the fire.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Seems like that could have been a lot worse than it turned out to be if either more boats caught fire or if the wind was blowing all that smoke toward the park.

-Matt

As a Youngstown-ian, whenever I see fire anywhere near a wooden coaster, even if it was unlikely to spread to it, I get a little worried.

And rightly so. I cried real tears that day.

A guy on a Facebook page made the comment "Thank god it wasn't a ride" before the amount of damage or any possible injury was even known. Of course, I felt compelled to say something and got jumped on. Ugh.

Maybe this is why I should stay away from Facebook.

Hopefully it wasn't from something as boneheaded as this "Meanwhile in Florida" explosion.

http://www.ksdk.com/mobile/article/news/suv-carrying-grill-blows-up.../464229829

CoasterKyle1121 said:

That's a shame. Those fires can get very bad very fast. Just a few days ago, there was a fire started on the main land that burnt up ten boat houses and a lot of boats (mostly Lyman boats based on what I heard, for those who care).

I was on the Valravn platform when that fire broke out. It was absolutely huge and we couldn't believe what we were seeing.

Leaving the park that night on 6 was weird trying to look down the side streets to see which one all of the lights and sirens were at. We obviously didn't go check it out, but that's some scary stuff.

Glad no one was seriously hurt! Selfishly thinking, I would have been beside myself if I were at the park that day, because lately I've been leaving my dogs at Pet Chek for the convenience. And not kidding, a fire and my pets being trapped inside is one of my biggest fears in life. So even if the fire was not really near there, but I saw a fire in that direction, I would have been so scared.

Last edited by Coco,

The person who lost his boat is a friend of mine and the nicest guy you could ever meet. He lived on his boat full time so this was a serious loss for him. If anyone is interested, here is a link to his GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/49ywj6g

Thanks for sharing that Pete. That is sad news to hear about your friend. Does he have a brother?

Steve Shives

Yes he does, and his brother is quite a character!

Does his brother have a brother?

Pete said:

Yes he does, and his brother is quite a character!

Ok, I know who you are talking about then. We met them at the Surf Lounge one evening. They were a blast to hang around.

I just saw the boats that caught fire. Nothing left of them. Looks like another boat that is still in the water had a lot of smoke damage to it.

Last edited by DSShives,

Steve Shives

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service