Milennium Force Vs. Diamondback (Kings Island)

Hey there... trying to get my 10 year old on Millennium Force the past 2 years and he won't do it. He's been on Diamondback at Kings Island which is the closest coaster I can think of to Millennium. I know it's an extra 70 feet, and faster, but can anyone help me with a good argument for that extra boost of confidence for him to ride? I think he'll love it as he loves Diamondback and the seating on that one is much less secure feeling!

Don't tell him about the Green Train. :)

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

What has worked with my son is hanging out by the exit and talking to other parents with kids getting off the ride.

The ride is intimating, but very fun. The ride is so much fun with great views of the water, the tunnel, dino island. Golden Ticket winner many, many times.

Take him on MF at night, when its totally dark and he can't appreciate how high up the damn thing is. Seriously, it worked for both of my kids and now it's their favorite. 2nd time, go for the daytime. Good luck!

If that Golden Ticket thing doesn't do it then I don't know what will.

Why won't he do it? Height?

You could make a bad parenting decision and bribe him with ice cream, a video game or a puppy.

As long as the puppy is at least 48" tall.

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

Captain Hawkeye said:

As long as the puppy is at least 48" tall.

The height requirement for Diamondback is 54 inches, so he's good to go.

Lie??? Say it just looks taller because the track is smaller...

*** The person writing this does not have children and any 'advice' he gives should be followed at your own risk ***

He's afraid of the first hill and the speed.... I would never force him on something as that happened to me as a child and it took years for me to go on a coaster again. Bribing is not out of the question though lol

He's earned those metal construction sets for each coaster he goes on so maybe that would work if they have one for Millie. We never buy souvenirs or play the games but I do like those mini coaster models!

Well, the drop on Diamondback definately has more airtime than Millennium Force and it feels faster because Millennium is way more drawn out than Diamondback

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

^ Go Intamin, you're right about the first drop comparison, but how about this? Diamondback has great ejector floater airtime throughout the course of the layout where as Millennium Force has it in certain spots; aka airtime hills towards the island and back from the island. What I love about Millennium Force is the ground hugging turns, the drop, and the speed. Diamondback is awesome because it has more of a punch with the drop, airtime hills, and speed. Yes I know it's not as fast as Millennium Force, but it's fast enough for it's size and model type.

It sounds like it's probably something he genuinely wants to do, right?

Our daughter was in a similar position 2 years ago. She really, really wanted to do it, but was just so taken back by the height and the speed.

We did a couple things to help her out...but you already have the most important thing nailed, which is not putting too much pressure on him.

What bgeise above said; talking to other kids who just got off and talking about how much fun it is. We also took a lot of time explaining just how smooth the ride is, and how we both knew it would instantly become her favorite ride in the entire park (which it did, the moment she got off). We also talked to her about how much she has conquered, and how nothing bad or terrible has ever happened. Usually at the root of these fears is that something terrible will happen..."I'll fall out!", etc..

But, what honestly got her over the hump to get in line was that we took her into Sweet Spot and told her that if she rode, she could pick out anything she wanted for her and her sister.

They key with the incentive is that is just has to be something he really wants. It's not as much of a bribe as it is giving the little person a goal to work towards.

And guess what? It worked like a charm for Dragster this year too.

It's awesome he conquered Diamondback...keep using that as a encouragement and praise of how brave he is...and toss in a little incentive. Let him find something in the park he really wants, and go get it!

Promoter of fog.

I bribed my daughter with a snoopy stuffed animal. This incentive got her over the hump. When we pulled into the station after the ride she yelled "What took me so long?"

Now she rides anything.

Shawn Meyer said:
^ Go Intamin, you're right about the first drop comparison, but how about this? Diamondback has great ejector floater airtime throughout the course of the layout where as Millennium Force has it in certain spots; aka airtime hills towards the island and back from the island. What I love about Millennium Force is the ground hugging turns, the drop, and the speed. Diamondback is awesome because it has more of a punch with the drop, airtime hills, and speed. Yes I know it's not as fast as Millennium Force, but it's fast enough for it's size and model type.

A lot of people talk about Millennium Force not having much airtime but I think it has quite a bit if you sit in the right place. Sit in the back and don't cinch the belt super tight or smash the bar into your lap. I'm not talking about leaving them loose enough to be dangerous, not gonna open that can of worms, just don't suffocate yourself. Then totally relax your arms and legs as the train pulls you over the first drop and it is some crazy airtime. You literally feel suspended in air staring straight down 300 feet. That being said, I haven't ridden Diamondback yet but I will get to KI next year.

Diamondback in the front seat is a snooze-fest. The back seat, however...wow; a night and day difference. I think you spend as much time out of your seat as you do in the seat.

Promoter of fog.

My first ride on Diamondback was in seat two. A quick analysis told me that unless I wanted to hold hands with my riding partner, (I didn't), that seat two would be virtually the same experience as seat one without the wait. And a ride "off" the track, besides.
I was shocked at how much air we got at the top of the hills. It actually made me a little distrustful of the lap bar. The ride experience was much better than I ever imagined. Later I rode the last seat and I enjoyed the air there as well. It was different but every bit as fun. Then a middle seat provided a wonderful float over every hill and there's nothing wrong with that, either. It's one of my favorite rides.

As to what to tell someone who's hesitant to ride MF? Tell them the first hill is so awesome that they'll be sorry if they don't experience it. Then tell them that as for the rest of it, if they did Diamondback and liked it then they won't have a problem on earth with this one.

I love diamondback. I think it's the best sit down B&M out there. MF is the best of what it does.

Wasn't thinking this weekend and stuck my arms out to the sides in the very back seat of Diamondback (wearing long sleeves because it was not warm) and my arm got blasted with water. It was pretty hilarious, except not really because I was cold and my shirt sleeve was completely soaked, however, we couldn't stop laughing about it because it was so stupid. Anyway, the back seat of Diamondback is the truly the very best. Along with everything else at Kings Island. That whole park is just awesome.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service