RMC Streak Photo Update - May 7, 2017

These are not Youtube piloteers, these are licensed professional pilots. :)

Steer clear from the name calling and personal insults, and a meaningful discussion can ensue. Regardless of your opinion, the policy is clear;

***All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at (in) all Cedar Fair parks, including Cedar Point, and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over Cedar Point will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines.

So, the "pilot" of this footage violated Cedar Point's policy. That is not up for debate.

I for one respect the park, because I respect the people that work there.

And if you're interested, I'm not on anyone's clock, I've never covered myself with food, and I would be more than happy to re-read the drone policy to anyone in person.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

The park regularly bans people from the their properties for life. And violating their ban is illegal trespassing, subject to criminal prosecution.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

^Like I said, good luck enforcing that policy.

Line jumping is cause for removal from the park, too. When was the last time you saw them enforce THAT easily enforceable rule?

This thread is ruined. Can a new Mean Streak thread be started ? Please!

Last edited by Zoug68,

From last week. Just because you don't see it or report it it when you do, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My guess is most people don't record themselves being kicked out and post it online.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

^First I've ever seen. He was extremely obnoxious, though. Most line jumpers try to be more discreet...I bet he comes back again, though...lol

Well in that video, they obviously are fighting over the air space over a roller coaster that "technically" (look at the map) doesn't exist. Seems legit.

It's not a matter of how easily enforceable it is or a matter of how easy to get away with something is. Cedar Point has a policy, and it was violated.

Some find that cool. I happen to not.

As I said in my original post on the topic (and I'm more than happy to move one), for myself it comes down to respecting the park. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Relevant.

Kevinj said:

***All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at (in) all Cedar Fair parks, including Cedar Point, and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over Cedar Point will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines.

So, the "pilot" of this footage violated Cedar Point's policy. That is not up for debate.

I can make a legally valid argument that CP's policy was not violated. According to the above, it states "unauthorized drone."

The drone flight was authorized by FAR Part 107. So, there was no "unauthorized drone."

Now, let's assume that they were to rewrite the policy to state "authorized by Cedar Point."

Then this activity would violate such policy. However, that is meaningless, because Cedar Point has no authority to "prohibit" the use of the public property adjacent to their private property, and the "policy" of a private entity does not have force of law.

It would be no different than CP writing a policy stating that people were "prohibited" from driving on highway 6, or "prohibited" from staying at any of the hotels near the point that compete with CP Resorts.

Their only recourse would be to deny admission and/or persuade authorities to legally ban flight above their peninsula, as Walt Disney World successfully did for manned aircraft.

And, the drone pilot was not "tresspassing" as XS Nightclub alleged, because the airspace above CP is not CP's property.

^^^That video (the line jumping one) is my cringe of the day. I've seen it enforced on several occasions.

DA20Pilot said:

Your argument seems to be that if someone asks me not to do something that I have a legal right to do, that I must have bad character if I do it in spite being asked not to.

I thought that's how it's supposed to go. Respect people's wishes. That's how I've always lived my life. If someone asks me not to do something it's just common curtesy not to do it. Then I don't have to find every little way to justify why I went against their wishes.

Last edited by CoasterCam,

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

I'm guessing that the lack of new construction pics this week maybe due to a break in work for holiday vacation for RMC. Anyone see anybody working this week?

DA20Pilot said:

...a legally valid argument...

...Cedar Point has no authority to...

...the "policy" of a private entity does not have force of law.

After this discussion, you're still falling back on the "but it's technically legal" argument?

As I said pages ago, I bet you're a great neighbor to have.

Brandon

clevelander said:

^It honestly doesn't matter. In all reality Zoug is right. Most of the "badasses" on here talk lots of crap but show up waddling around events literally covered in food and would duck and hide if someone casually mentioned the word "boo" behind them.

To that point, I wonder whether these drone "pilots" would show the same inconsiderate brazenness if they weren't hiding behind a joystick.

Brandon

As usual Brandon has ignored the points I brought up, directed at him. That's what you're supposed to do when you have no defensible response.

These are grown men kids! YAY!

^^^ Fair enough, DA20Pilot. As I read it, it's a policy stating that drones are politely asked to not be flown above Cedar Point, regardless of their point of origin, as I obviously read the word "authorized" as meaning getting permission granted from the park.

I'm not questioning the legality of it at all.

And having said that, that's why it comes down to a matter of courtesy and respect for the park's policies.

Promoter of fog.

Line Jumping is not "illegal", counting cards is not "illegal".... yet somehow there are policies in effect, that are enforced and lead to the legal refusal of admission to private properties backed by enforcement of criminal prosecution.

So by all means continue to violate the private property policies by exercise your rights, and see what happens when private property owners exercise their rights. As has repeatedly been pointed out, may not be breaking the law literally, but there are repercussions to not abiding by a property owners policies/wishes if you wish to use their property in the future. And as Kevin points out, its clear what is meant by "authorized" use in the CP policy.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

I vote for changing whatever they plan on calling the new MS to "DroneHawk".

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I like that :)

Perhaps they could also relocate Lake Erie Eagles to the infield and rename it "Drone Pilot".

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service