What about dat Melt!?

Should be an exciting new restaurant. Glad they are adding a patio in as well and getting rid of that large window area.

RCMAC said:
Yes, JohnMosesBrowning, Joe Cool and the cafeteria share the same building, with Joe Cool around the corner, across from a Planet Snoopy. The old admin building (now Eerie Estate) is across from it toward the midway.

I had forgotten about that buffet. Ugh. What I remember, further down, is Coral Dining Room- maybe just as bad but in a musty building to boot. I had a good friend that was a waitress there.

The Coral Dining Room building was old & musty, but, the food was some of the best in the park. I used to carve the Steamship Round in there on the regular carver's night off. It was a fun & challenging job to carve large slices of beef as thin as possible. I always had a bet going with the kitchen manager, John Cochran, on how many customers I could get out of a single steamship. The Coral Dining Room with the Convention Center upstairs was one of the older buildings in the park. The Convention Center was a room built inside a room. It was really cool to go behind those walls & see the old original building. There was some neat stuff hidden back there.

Was the Coral Dining room a restaurant or a convention/catering space? If it was a restaurant, what year did it close and are there any pictures of the menus or inside? A google search only gives me what it looked like when it originally opened.

The Firecracker Chicken Sandwich is "a red-hot combination of spicy fried chicken, sweet grilled pineapple, cool fresh avocado, and pepper jack cheese."

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Yum, that sound great! I want one now.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Wow that sounds really really good. I need to get over myself and try avocado...

This is great news! Lets just hope the prices are reasonable..

Cedar Point Lifer
Employee 2006-2009

I always just get a half a sandwich, because a whole sandwich is just too much for me there, they are big sandwiches. With the cost of that and a drink at the one in Akron, you can expect to pay around $10-15.I'd pull up the website menu, but their site appears to be down at the moment. I'll edit this post when it's back up.

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Cheese on a Stick, Gourmet Grilled Cheese, AND Crab Fries all within walking distance of each other?

Oh my, this diet is going to hurt this year.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Tilt-a-Whirl said:

Was the Coral Dining room a restaurant or a convention/catering space? If it was a restaurant, what year did it close and are there any pictures of the menus or inside? A google search only gives me what it looked like when it originally opened.

Both. The regular dining room, which was only open for dinner, and the catering space were separated by a temporary wall, as I recall. Memories do get a little fuzzy since this was 1974-1977 for me. It was a fairly typical buffet with the feature being the hand carved steamship round of beef. The banquet space was at least twice the size of the regular dining room. We catered all kinds of meals in there, though, more often than not the banquets used a duplicate of the standard Coral Dining Room fare. We also used the banquet room as a staging area for the then annual Employee Picnic which was on the lawn behind the banquet space. We had a guy from Toledo area come in and set up a long charcoal grilling operation on the lawn where he grilled half chickens for all of the employees. We handled the rest of the meal out of the Main Kitchen.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service