Valravn reviews

Maybe I'm alone, but I prefer all the B&M rides in the back row. (I actually had trouble requesting a back row ride on Fury last spring, that was irritating.)

Everytime I see the discussion regarding Ride Ops & any seat preference I just think of this:

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

Surprisingly enough, I was actually able to ask for the front row on my second trip.

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

CP Maverick said:

Maybe I'm alone, but I prefer all the B&M rides in the back row.

I prefer sitting in the back on the Hyper Coasters but the front on all their other ones. On a somewhat related note, I rode GateKeeper for the first time in the front today (Ya, I don't know what took so long) and I enjoy that ride 10x more now. Getting whipped around the inversions in the back bothers me more than it used to.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Both Gatekeeper and Valravn are back row rides for me. I don't care about the view as much as the ride experience and the back row offers a more thrilling ride.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I've only been on Valravn once this season, and that was a front row ride. We lucked out because there was a large VIP group on the other side of the platform and there was still enough room for my wife and I in the front row. So I don't have experience in the back row on Valravn.

But, for B&M's, I think I like the back row for every coaster type. Inverted, wing, floorless, hyper, it doesn't matter. The way the coaster pulls you through the elements is just amazing. I love the forces in the back seat. Hell, I like Maverick best in the back seat. It feels like it's bucking you forward a little more than the front for some reason.

Front row request results may vary. This morning during Early Entry, my son and I were able to wait a train for the front (thank you Sidney! ).

The front row on Valravn did very little for me in terms of forces, and I think that is common to all dive coasters in that if you closed your eyes in the front row you would feel next to nothing beyond briefly 3 positive Gs. But in the back row, you do feel significant negative g force, no airtime thanks to the vests, and more than 4 positive Gs at the bottom of the 2 drops even though the train is only 3 cars long.

Valravn will never live up to Gatekeeper and especially not Raptor or Maverick in terms of both intensity and greatness/quality, but it does accomplish its goal of being an all around better coaster than Rougarou and no doubt in being the most popular coaster with the GP in the front half of the park for years. For us enthusiasts, the redeeming ride experience with G forces will be in the back row.

Last edited by Wisco Woody,

GK more intense than valravn? I'd have to disagree with you there. Also, what's wrong with rougarou? It really isn't as bad as everyone says it is imo.

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

Rougarou is easily better than the two newest B&Ms.

I disagree about "airtime" as you don't need to physically leave your seat. Drive over elevated train crossing fast enough and you will feel airtime without floating off the seat in your car...

Over the 3 days I spent at CP, I was able to choose my row each time. Got about six rides in and thought the ride was pretty fun. The restraints were the most forgiving out of all the wing coasters and Banshee. I also didn't realize how tiny the station is. How cute.

The separator/grouper's name was Craig, so shout out to Craig for letting some out of towners pick their seats.

I liked the front better and didn't think the airtime was much weaker than the back seat, it's nothing extreme so it doesn't really matter, imo.

Great view? Yep.

Do the vest restraints take away from the scare factor? Honestly, I really thought they would kill the mood but I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't! The brake checks up until the hold were kinda freaky, and there was a good amount of air down the first/second drop. I don't see what the hype about the 3rd inversion is...it just seems out of place on the ride and similar to many elements on the wing coasters. I'm all for longer rides, but I don't understand why that's the "highlight" element for most reviewers.

So, for 3 days at the Point, why is Valravn down so much? Sunday or Monday it was only running 2 trains, and honestly it only seemed to be cycling with riders after opening (then down around 11), after lunch (then down around 1pm), and right before close. It was stuck on the brake run/lift multiple times, so I was sad to see many guests not able to ride the new coaster on their single day visits. It's a fun ride, but I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for it personally. Makes me want to try Sheikra even more.

Last edited by Palmetto,

I would guess it's closed so muh because of the final brake run and how "choppy" it is.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

CP Maverick said:

Rougarou is easily better than the two newest B&Ms.

Hahahahaha!!! Oh man, gooooood one!!! LOL!!!

Oh... Oh, wait... you're serious?

Palmetto said:

I don't see what the hype about the 3rd inversion is...it just seems out of place on the ride and similar to many elements on the wing coasters. I'm all for longer rides, but I don't understand why that's the "highlight" element for most reviewers.

That element delivering air time seems to depend on where you sit, more than any other element. It seems to offer better hang time in the middle of the train, to me at least. On the outer edges you just sort of hang from the restraints and the element ends up feeling awkward.

Brandon

I absolutely love that awkward hang time. It just feels like the coaster is dumping you out of the seat. Banshee and Thunderbird also do it very well.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

I've waited all season to post my review, so that it wasn't shaded by shiny new ride excitement or lack of times riding it.

Meh.

It's gorgeous. It's just disinteresting to ride. It probably doesn't help that I hate G-forces due to a bad back. I also find it to be pretty rough on the back outside edges, surprisingly rough.

Having said that, yay, it looks great and lots of people like it and I'm sure it's a home run for the park. It just doesn't get me excited. I'll stick with TTD and MF for my marathon rides.

Ive rode Valravn twice now and cant help but notice how much sway movement its at the top platform and MCBR. I know its safe but scary at the same time. I didnt notice that on Griffin and Shekra.

You can feel it at the top of the first drop as well.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

^ yes the top of the lift also. Must just be the nature of the beast.

I keep wondering if there is a way to reprogram the final brake run from being so choppy? It would be nice if they could make it smoother.

It'd be nice if they could reprogram the whole ride and get it running as smoothly as gatekeeper.
That or just remove a train so we're not stuck on the final brake run for so long.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service