Money Saving tips

Shane Denmark said:

noggin-
You missed the part where he said the $350 budget is Christmas money. So if Grandma gave him tickets to CP instead should he still not go?

Apples & oranges. Had he been gifted a ticket, that would sort of limit his options.

He asked for advice on visiting CP on a very limited budget. Pointing out that said budget might be better utilized to go somewhere less expensive isn't an invalid suggestion.

I tend to agree with noggin's advice. In OP's post he said he has barely enough money to get through the gate (I sure hope you and your friends have some sort of emergency fund stashed somewhere...). Even bringing food in a cooler costs money, to say nothing of the fact that heading out to the car to eat will cut a solid couple hours off of time in the park. And if it's an early-season weekday, that 2 hours represents at least 20% of his day.

Of course, if they're dead-set on visiting the park even on that minuscule budget, they can always ignore this advice. But I don't see any harm in providing the advice in the first place.

Brandon

buckeyesbrownsindianscavs said:
I don't have time. I'm in 3 sports (Football, Wrestling, Track) and I have to have really good grades. Plus I'm in Student Council. Life of a student-athlete. -_-

Wrestling, Track, and Football are all at different times. I don't know what Student Council is like at your school but at mine, they only meet like a couple times a month. I'm sure a part time job is possible.

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

^^^
You are quite underestimating this. Many teams at my school have 3 hour practices after school 5 days a week and games on the days that they don't. Then after that (In my honors/AP program at least) about 3-4+ hours of homework. Plus all the other numerous activities that go on such as Student Council, National Honor Society, robotics, etc.

Last edited by CoasterCam,

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

I have some advice, but you might agree with it at first:

Don't go this summer.

I was in high school a few years ago with the same problem (on sports teams/clubs, etc.) I would suggest working this summer and setting aside an amount of money (that you won't feel guilty spending) for a trip next summer.

If your friends saved up too, you could stay overnight at their hotel and have a spring break/summer vacation you won't regret😜

Even if this is the end of your senior year, you'll still be friends with your teammates, and Cedar Point will still be around. And yes, you'll even have money for dippin' dots ;)

To answer the original question:

• Buy you tickets online ahead of time. They are cheaper than the gate.
  • If there are more than 15 of you, consider Cedar Point's group options for discounts on admission and more.
  • Carpool- That way you minimize parking costs. Even better is if one of your friends has a platinum pass, they get free parking.
  • Pack a cooler with food and drinks and keep it in your car. When you get hungry, just get your hand stamped and come back in when you are done.
  • You may bring a sealed water bottle in with you but be careful as they are not permitted on some rides and you will be asked to throw them away upon reaching the platform.
  • Stop by any food/drink stand and ask for a cup of water. They are free. There are also drinking fountains located at the restrooms.
  • If you bring bags in, you will have to leave them in a locker or with a non-rider for Magnum, Millennium Force, Dragster, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Valravn. They lockers are not expensive but they are a cost to be considered. If your friend's don't mind alternating, you can have one person hold bags while the rest of you ride and then switch out.
  • Even better is to wear cargo shorts that zip or otherwise securely fasten and only take what you need inside.
  • Follow Tony Clark (@TonyClarkCP) on Twitter for occasional promotional "Tweet Ups" that he does. He gives out all sorts of goodies if you can find him in the park. #NoRunning!
  • Check out the beach for all sorts of free great activities such as swimming, cornhole, volleyball, the Beach Blast party, movies and more!
  • All of Cedar Point's shows are free. Be sure to check out All Wheels Extreme and Lumonosity

I hope these are of help to you! See you at the Point!

Last edited by GDUBS,

3 Years of Fun!
Professional button presser.
Wearer of lime green and blue.

If you do eat there, try Famous Dave's. With a minimum purchase of $25 you get your parking comped but you need to show them your parking ticket so don't leave it in the car! *Great topic BTW. :)

Last edited by clevelander,

noggin said:

Bret said:

....everything into snarky criticism. You asked a good question.

I wasn't offering snarky criticism. I was dead serious.

If he were asking for money saving tips to stretch $350 over groceries and utility bills and such, I'd be right there with advice. (Heck, I only buy meat that my local grocery store has marked "reduced for quick sale".)

But Cedar Point just is not a necessity of life. By his own description, they have "barely enough money."

Going out on a limb here and guessing he lives in or near Cleveland. They might consider a 30-minute longer drive east to Waldameer Park, which offers an unlimited ride pass for $28 or rides can be paid for individually, both cost effective options; and the park is home to the amazing Ravine Flyer 3.

I live in Newark, which is between Columbus and Zanesville in East Central Ohio. So my next best option would be Kennywood, but I believe that is just as expensive.

The god of speculation

Apologies. I was assuming based on the Cleveland team names...

Yes, Kennywood would be about as expensive.

If you're looking at your trip as a day trip, Waldameer is out; but if it's not, I'd suggest it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

CoasterKyle1121 said:

I don't have time. I'm in 3 sports (Football, Wrestling, Track) and I have to have really good grades. Plus I'm in Student Council. Life of a student-athlete. -_-

Wrestling, Track, and Football are all at different times. I don't know what Student Council is like at your school but at mine, they only meet like a couple times a month. I'm sure a part time job is possible.

My wrestling team started strength and conditioning training a few weeks before football ended. Wrestling is a job itself. It is not easy to have a job and wrestle at the same time. Meets all day on Fridays and Saturdays are exhausting. Track can go all the way through the rest of the school year. Then football conditioning and training starts in June usually. By time practice is over after school for sports, it's usually 7 o'clock or later. Not to mention having to study or do homework. Trust me, I had a job when I was 13 while doing football and wrestling. It wasn't easy. Especially when you're trying to stay healthy while maintaining your weight for your weight class.

clevelander said:

If you do eat there, try Famous Dave's. With a minimum purchase of $25 you get your parking comped but you need to show them your parking ticket so don't leave it in the car! *Great topic BTW. :)

If you eat around 3:00ish, you can save money by having one meal instead of lunch and dinner. I don't know if you like Famous Daves' but the above tip helps. I don't know how many is in your group, but there are Famous Feasts that you can split between three people. Order water instead of pop. After tax and tip it is roughly around $48 (divided by 3 is $16 per person). That sounds like a lot, but heck a hot dog, fries, and a pop on the midway would be just about the same price.

Another money saver (i'm surprised that no one has mentioned this): Don't play any of the games at the park. Playing games / being at the arcade can add up quickly.

Perhaps you can do extra chores at home for a little bit of an allowance (and save it for this trip). (Just giving you a suggestion).

Last edited by Smiley5129,

TwistedWicker77 said:

CoasterKyle1121 said:

My wrestling team started strength and conditioning training a few weeks before football ended. Wrestling is a job itself. It is not easy to have a job and wrestle at the same time. Meets all day on Fridays and Saturdays are exhausting. Track can go all the way through the rest of the school year. Then football conditioning and training starts in June usually. By time practice is over after school for sports, it's usually 7 o'clock or later. Not to mention having to study or do homework. Trust me, I had a job when I was 13 while doing football and wrestling. It wasn't easy. Especially when you're trying to stay healthy while maintaining your weight for your weight class.

Trust me, I know the struggle of weight cutting. I had to drop 20+ pounds in 1 1/2 months. I was 150 during football and I was 126 by our first tournament. My season ended on Saturday. Made it all the way to Districts. (In Ohio it goes Sectionals, Districts, State) Now, I'm back at football workouts for 2 weeks until track starts. That'll go on until the end of the year.

The god of speculation

A teenager has no business losing 20+ pounds. It is unhealthy. Any coach who allows a student/athlete to lose that much should be fired. You should wrestle at the weight you are. I believe Ohio has a law/rule as to how much weight a teen can lose for a sport and I don't think it is 20 pounds.

We have a rule for how much weight you can lose based on your body fat %. When we had our Alpha Weigh In (where that is decided) the results showed that the lowest weight class I could wrestle was 126, and that was the weight that I wrestled, and it payed off.

The god of speculation

Our team has a kid (he placed in states twice and is in it again) that cut from 145 to 138. He started the season at around 160. The rule is as long as you have at least 7% body fat at a certain weight at a point in the season, you can cut x ammount of pounds after y ammount of tournaments.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

Ask for additional money from parents/guardians for the trip? Build a good case with all the expenses involved (tickets, gas, parking, food, etc) and persuade them to give you something. I'm sure they can pitch in something for at least one of those areas. If not, I would suggest not going and save the money like previously stated. There are a lot more important things in life you could use it on.

On the topic of getting a job in high school (unrelated to the post), it's definitely possible. I worked the max of 28 hrs/week at times as a part time cashier at a grocery store while staying in sports, student council, theater (2 plays a year), community service, etc. You just have to make time for it like everything else. You have to set your priorities straight as to what will help you the most in the future. Sure it won't always be fun, but then at least you have money to go to amusement parks and buy a few things. Don't mean to sound like a life advice coach, but I just felt the need to put my two cents in. Good luck with whatever you chose to do!

If you chose to go, look at GDUBS post, they were spot on with everything

Last edited by CoasterGuy15,

Do not underestimate the usefulness of cargo shorts. The more you can carry with you on your person, the less you'll have to spend on a locker. (This means that, if you have a little extra for a game or two, do it toward the end of the day in case you win a giant Pikachu or somesuch. XP )

Unfortunately, this probably means water rides are a thing you'll have to skip, unless you don't mind walking around with soaked shoes, socks, and shirts.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Follow Cedar Point on facebook. Sometimes thay anounce 12 hour deals on tickets ordered online. Before we satrted getting passes again I got my tickets for only $25 once. Other than that pack a cooler. If you park in the Soak City lot it will be quicker to get to your car and back to eat. My husband brings in a water bottle and then squashes it once it's empty to fit in his pocket. They go back to a semi-normal shape when filled at the water fountain. I just put myempty Gatorade bottle in my cargo shorts. If you're cutting it really close on the money maybe this isn't your year but if the money isn't needed for something else and Grandma insists that you use it for something fun then I guess go for it.

I will agree with one suggestion. If you are going to buy food at the park eat at Famous Dave's.The feast for 2 is about $40. If your in a group of 4 that's only $10 apiece. But you can get your parking reimbursed which is $15. As for food consumption the feast for 2 is a hell of a lot more than fries for $7. We're talking cornbread,corn on the cob, 1/2# brisket, 1/2 chicken, ribs, baked beans. The ribs are really good. Or if your group is larger you can get the feast for 4 which is $80. I would imagine the feast for 4 would feed about 8 people easily. Very good food. Remember to get your parking reimbursed. And tip your waiter.

I understand your not holding a job. See if grandpa will pay you to clean out his gutters. Or mow for the neighbor. Make sure you let them know about your cause. What you want the money for. They may be more willing to pay you a small amount for a small task. Whether it's a one time deal or a weekly task. Just because you can't get a job at McDonald's doesn't mean you can't fit a few thing's into your schedule. You could possibly make around $30-$40 a week in as little as 6 hours when you are available. I believe it's called networking? Might be wrong though. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not what you call it. But it is a very useful tool in finding what you are looking for by talking to as many people as you can. Worst thing can happen is you get told no. But I'm sure your grandparent's, uncle's, neighbor's, etc., will more than likely find something for you to do.

what we do is only spend minimal on park food. sometimes we take food in a cooler in the car and eat in the car, or drive to causeway restaurants. you can also carry a backpack in the park and take food breaks. but that's if you wanna carry around a bag all day and shove it in a pricey locker.

If parents are unwilling to help with the cash for gas, parking or tickets maybe one of the parents of your group would be willing to help supply stuff to make sandwiches and some chips and pop for a tailgate picnic (and lend you a cooler).

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service