why doesn't gatekeeper have a theme?

I know this would probably have been a better topic a few years back, but I learned about many of the other coasters at other parks and cedar fair parks who have added major coasters recently, such as banshee or X-flight (SFGA), or wild eagle. As a winged coaster, x-flight has an airplane hangar theme with a neat station and banshee has that cemetery feel with a church-like station. I have been on wild eagle at Dollywood and the whole ride looks beautiful. But gatekeeper has nothing, save for the keyhole towers and nice paint job. the station is the most bland of all the stations there. I went to CP with friends who wondered this as well, recently.

I give credit to Millennium, maverick and TTD for having at least somewhat unique station designs.

What park do you think Gatekeeper is at? Cedar Point and theming aren't two things that go together. Pick one or the other. They even hyped up "theming" for Rougarou and their definition was a little fog and some sound effects near the entrance. Hardly qualifies as theming.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Yeah, Cedar Point is not the park you go to for theming. Clearly the company can do theming (exhibit A: Banshee); perhaps at Cedar Point they go with the no-theme theme. :-)

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

I dont remember Wild Eagle having much charm except for the eagle sculpture at the entrance. I'll take the lakeside setting of Gatekeeper and the keyholes over that sculpture every time.

GK is the dominant feature of the entrance (gate) to CP, it flies over the entrance thus it is the keeper of the gate. What more could you ask for as far as themeing goes?

Yeah, fun ride but the overall design is pretty cold and uninviting. Having to sometimes stand in puddles of water underneath the station doesn't exactly help matters.

Banshee on the other hand sure is purrrrdy.

You obviously didn't read the post above yours. What more could you possibly ask for? There is clearly nothing at all that could have or can be done to improve the Gatekeeper experience. Imagination and creativity is so overrated.

What ever that means...

And Shades, you should go back and re-examine Wild Eagle's station. I thought it was nicely detailed with plenty of extra touches like pretty wood and custom metal railings in addition to a beautiful entrance. Even the silver gate that goes across the station's opening is detailed nicely. I thought the ride itself was just so-so, and the station and it's placement was a saving grace.

I always laugh when I hear people harp on Cedar Point. As a place that's never considered itself more than just a great amusement park, I think what sets it apart is the conglomeration of rides and their various looks. There aren't many places where you can find a beautifully themed ride and station like Top Thrill Dragster sitting across the street from a stripped down but unashamed Super Himalaya. Maverick has an ok theme, but nearby is Mean Streak, a ride that doesn't try to act like anything but a giant wooden roller coaster.

As far as Gatekeeper goes, it looks fine. Really. There's a nice, modern entrance plaza with a great view of the lake, fresh creative signage, and a station that suits the look of the area. I'm not sure what else the constant complainers think it should be.

Or what Cedar Point should be, because it ain't a theme park. And it's ok if it doesn't try to be one.

Name a ride at Cedar Point that has any "theming", or at least still has it and is working.

How much "theming" do you want? It's not going to be immersive like the FL parks. It doesn't have to be interactive.

TTD - trains shaped like race cars. Christmas tree lights, revving engine sound. Station looks like grandstands. Winner's circle at the exit ramp.

CCMR - trains shaped like coal cars. Boarded up tunnel entrance.

Maverick - The queue and station give that western feel and the water bombs make a sound like a shotgun as the train passes. I'm not sure fog in the tunnel really ever qualified as "theming" on this ride.

Cedar Downs - Bugle to start the "race." I still like to pretend that I'm a jockey at the track. And who doesn't comment about which horse is ahead when the ride stops?

Antique/Cadillac Cars - The billboards and advertisements. I always point out the bridge toll when my kids are driving.

Last edited by Altor,

Scottyf said:

You obviously didn't read the post above yours.

It would be super cool if you didn't have to be condescending in every post you make, and assume that disagreement is a result of not reading other posts.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Gatekeeper keeps the gates. It flies over the gates. Twice.

I would say they did a good job.

Promoter of fog.

Needs more fog.

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

Altor said:
CCMR - trains shaped like coal cars. Boarded up tunnel entrance.

Ha. Who else remembers when that WAS the the entrance?

And while it may be a flop as a ride, STR has some decent theming. Sorry Shawn Meyer.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

I remember! Also, Blue Streak's entrance is now the exit.

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

Actually, Blue Streak's exit is exactly the same as always. The entrance did indeed change, however, from the front of the station (just right of the exit) to the back side.

Having grown up going to Cedar point and Geauga Lake neither of them being huge on theming I imagine if I ever get to a park that is it will probably feel like it's over the top. GateKeeper has that funky dragon griffin thing and the paint job goes will with the lake being on the waterfront.

I think Gatekeeper is beautiful and looks like a work of art. The only thing I would say about theming is that the name Gatekeeper exudes to me a dark, gothic connotation. Maybe that has to do with Ghostbusters.

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

If there's something strange in your amusement park, who you gonna call? Gatekeeper!

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

That's right! And the Keymaster is going to be checking my fanny pack this weekend!

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service