#tbt - High resolution aerial image from March 1969

Very cool aerial image taken in March 1969. High resolution version available here.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

The decision to start building out in Frontier Town seems weird in retrospect, because of how isolated it was back in the day aside from the transportation back there.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

The fact that Frontier Town was isolated was much of the appeal of the area back then. It seemed like the train took you to a completely different amusement park. We would go to Frontier Town, spend a few hours there and then go back to Cedar Point, Frontier Town didn't really seam like it was part of the main park. It actually seemed like the two parks for one price concept.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

What's that grouping of structures at the extreme north/northwest end of the peninsula?

Brandon

Wow! It was pretty much a completely different park back then. Alot has changed in 45 years.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

So, I'm a bit confused on the timeline...

CCMR, Antique Cars, and The Town Hall Museum all opened in 1969, yet I don't see CCMR there (though it's entirely possible I'm blind). Had they just not started building CCMR when this picture was taken?

Brandon

I was wondering the same thing. I don't see CCMR in there. I think that building in the middle of the H formed by the water is the old Frontier Lift station which is now a bathroom. I think THM is the building right by it. I think further up was the original log ride and across is Antique Cars.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Thanks for posting, Walt. Gives a great view of the original army barracks/prison layout of Hotel Breakers.

NICE,ah memories !

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Not sure on the timeline of Mine Ride's construction. I know this image was taken March 22, 1969 and I know Mine Ride opened on May 24, 1969.

The resolution of the image is very good considering how old it is, but it doesn't have quite enough detail to see exactly where Mine Ride is in the construction process. It does look to me like there is clearing/activity in that area.

(1) Mine Ride location

(2) Town Hall Museum

Also new in 1969:

(3) Antique Cars

(4) Chicken Plantation (now home to Chick-fil-A)

djDaemon said:

What's that grouping of structures at the extreme north/northwest end of the peninsula?

It was originally the Cedar Point Lighthouse. At the time of the image, it was a Coast Guard station. Today, it's Lighthouse Point.

If I'm looking at this correctly, did the CP & LE RR track used to run all the way up near the the marina entrance?

Yes, the route was later cut back and Funway Station relocated the following year in 1970, when the new "Million Dollar Midway" (Celebration Plaza) was constructed.

Thanks. Fascinating.

It's interesting that many of the rides and structures are clearly visible, like Shoot The Rapids, Antique Cars, Town Hall, Frontier Lift station and the train tracks. But there doesn't seem to be a trace of the Mine Ride. Maybe there are footers in place, but you would think the station would be clearly visible like the other structures in Frontier Town are. I can't believe they built Mine Ride in less than two months.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Walt, Pete, or others...I'll admit my bearings are a bit off (and this would have been the year before I was born)...if #2 is the Town Hall building, can you identify the structure off to the left, perhaps in the current location of the Glass Blowing Theatre or Thunder Canyon platform...is that a storage building of some sort, or a public access area?

It doesn't look like a public area. My guess is that it's perhaps a maintenance building.

Even zoomed out this image is facinating. So weird seeing the main midway just end at the lagoon.

Pete said:

It's interesting that many of the rides and structures are clearly visible, like Shoot The Rapids, Antique Cars, Town Hall, Frontier Lift station and the train tracks. But there doesn't seem to be a trace of the Mine Ride. Maybe there are footers in place, but you would think the station would be clearly visible like the other structures in Frontier Town are. I can't believe they built Mine Ride in less than two months.

Had to chime in here. That because CCMR wasn't built that fast. The photo IS from 3/69. Even though CP's opening day was 5/24 in 1969, the CCMR didn't open up until mid-August, toward the end of the operating season, just like the Mill Race 6 years earlier. It's opening and construction was delayed by a massive tornado that rolled through the area on Friday July 4th. It took about 5 months total to build. I have a newspaper article detailing its opening during August of that year. Hope that helps.

Any chance you can share this news article with us somehow? Sounds fascinating!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service