Rides that might be removed in the next few years

net said:
...like Disaster Transport, was mentioned as possibly being removed in the future (or at least someone hoped it would be removed), it was trashed by many, many Pointbuzz regulars that CP is not going to remove a major ride. That is a fact.

You must be confusing PB with some other site. DT's demise has been prognosticated (often with excited anticipation) for many years now. Certainly long before the official announcement.

In fact, I'd suggest that the majority of those who didn't foresee that event were the non-regulars, who are often less able to "read the tea leaves".

Brandon

I didn't confuse the website djDaemon. Go back 5-plus years and the consensus was CP would never, ever remove a roller coaster. I always disagreed with this and would get reamed for my opinion. I'm on this site probably 3 days a week (and have been since MF was built), and do not remember many posts at all that Disaster Transport would be removed in the near future (until the Gatekeeper rumors started that is). In fact, there were tons of posts over the years on how to make the ride better, even converting back to Avalanche Run, which was just crazy.

I'm not going to argue here. I'm making one point, and one point only. Some major rides have been removed in the last 5-6 years, and I think a few more will follow sooner than later.

"Disaster Transport won't last forever. It might be 2 years, 5 years, or 15 years, but at some point I think it will be history." Click here to see who said that in 2003. Spoiler alert: it was me. :)

There are a couple of other old anti-Disaster Transport threads here and here.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

It's funny how back in 2003, someone said they'd like to see Disaster Transport replaced by a B&M :)

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

When considering future expansion and what ride(s) might need to be removed, I wonder how much emphasis is put on the "visual" or "appearance" of a particular piece .. I'm guessing probably very little. But when I look around the park and start thinking about whether something HAS to go and what should it be - CCMR does not come to mind. I think it's a quality ride, and definitely a real looker - especially compared to the Corkscrew. CS just doesn't bring anything to the table and its nostalgic element that hangs over the midway is hardly enough to justify keeping it around. Against the rest of CP's coaster line-up, CS is pretty much, pus ! And like dude said in another post ... "I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it went away."

Last edited by Super Stew,

I was super before Super Stew was cool !

Good posts Walt. Point well taken. :-) But, it's also funny when I read those back posts the love for Disaster Transport, including djDaemon, and then another person who wanted to turn it back into Avalanche Run, as I said in my post above...LOL. I don't want to keep harping on this, but I am positive I brought up tearing down DT in the past and was slammed for my opinion. In conclusion, I am very happy it is gone and an elite ride is in it's place. I'm hoping CP put's some sort of concrete outlook patio or small boardwalk between WT and Gatekeeper so guests can relax and look out at the lake...it looks like there will be enough room for this from the construction pictures so far. It would be nice to see the lake again from inside the park with obstructions.

Saying I'd "almost prefer" they return DT to AR as an alternative to tearing it down is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Brandon

And how many "tear down Mean Streak" posts are there? A couple? A few?

Well, here's one. :)

Promoter of fog.

I'd much rather it get the New Texas Giant treatment than torn down. Texas Giant was a ride VERY much like Mean Streak. I rode Texas Giant in 04, and then road Mean Streak 2 days later, and it delivered a very similar experience. Both were designed by Curtis D. Summers and built by Dinn Corporation. Actually if I showed you a picture of its lift as Texas Giant, it could easily be confused for Mean Streak, Even their layouts are very similar.

It had the same problems Mean Streak has, boring and rough. Now it's getting near universal praise.

http://youtubedoubler.com/6Azt

Last edited by liebevision,

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

However, is it worth the cost? In my opinion no. Paying 10 million to take a rough, boring ride, and make it a smooth, boring ride, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Interesting thread. I've especially enjoyed seeing all the Photoshop renderings. haha

While I agree about Corkscrew being iconic, not taking up a ton of space, etc., are Arrow loopers not disappearing at a fairly rapid pace? There must be some reason that so many parks have chosen to remove their Arrow loopers over the past few years. I doubt CP is immune to whatever that reason is (whether it be maintenance costs, ongoing integrity of the structure, etc.)...

I don't see MS going anywhere or receiving Iron Horse treatment any time soon. The ride occupies a huge area, and redeveloping it (i.e. with a new steel coaster) would cost far more than it probably does to replace some wood annually. I see the park riding MS out (pun intended) for as long as they can.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Gemini midway! Am I the only one who thinks that whole area needs some serious rejuvenation? I think that's one of the dumpier looking areas of the park. Between Frog Hopper, the bumper boats thingy, and all the asphalt--I think that area of the park looks more dated (not classic, as some may call it, but dated) than even Kiddy Kingdom.

Thrills Around the Corner!

I've said for a while that the Gemini blacktop needs to go. For some reason, I think of the Gemini midway turning into something like Coney Mall at Kings Island. There's all the games plus the kiddie rides and the racing roller coaster on the side.

Last edited by Maverick00,

Top Thrill 182 said:
...redeveloping it (i.e. with a new steel coaster) would cost far more than it probably does to replace some wood annually.

Keep in mind, though, that redeveloping that plot is a one time cost. Wood replacement is a recurring cost. In other words, putting a steel coaster where MS currently resides would save a lot of money over the long term.

Brandon

Aaronosmer said:
However, is it worth the cost? In my opinion no. Paying 10 million to take a rough, boring ride, and make it a smooth, boring ride, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Except that isn't what you would get. People who have ridden New Texas Giant (including a friend of mine I was visiting in Texas when I rode the "old" version") say it is flipping awesome.

Rough boring ride to smooth, fast, and wickedly fun ride is what the New Texas Giant treatment is. There's a reason it won the golden ticket for best new ride. It has tons of airtime, it's smooth as glass and the overbank turns are intense. It just doesn't let up.

Here's a review saying it blows everything at CP out of the water
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/214979
here's more reviews
http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2011/04/texas-giant-flags-texas-rol...views.html
http://www.wfaa.com/entertainment/more/RIDE-REVIEW-The-New-Texas-Gi...73864.html
Imagine getting off Mean Streak and saying to yourself "that was the best ride in the park!" and meaning it. That's what's possible with the NTG treatment. It's not just changing the track to a topper, it's re-profiling the ride addressing the issues in the design.

Last edited by liebevision,

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

In my opinion, I don't think Cedar Point will get rid of Mean Streak because it's one of 2 wooden roller coasters the park has. To me, I see Mean Streak staying the way it is for quite a while. In the future, if something were to happen, I can see Intamin coming in and doing the El Toro treatment. This way it still remains a wooden roller coaster. Plus Cedar Point spent a lot of money replacing wood and re-tracking it. I also want to share this thought, Mean Streak is so much of a better ride than SOB which is why it's dead now.

I would love for Mean Streak to be like NTG.

Shawn, any coaster is better than SOB :).

Rcoaster10 said:
I would love for Mean Streak to be like NTG.

What does NTG stand for?

New Texas Giant.

Geez....I feel like such a Dee Dee Dee.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service