Past element removal or layout modifications?

I was driving past Adena in Mansfield, Ohio and I noticed the heartline roll from Maverick still laying there along the fence. This made me wonder if there has been any other modifications to original track layouts, ect? Does anyone know if there has been ever been any other modifications or element removals from the original planning of a ride at Cedar Point? While I'm at it what about any rides at any park?

Here Come the Irish!

The two I know about for Cedar Point are Magnum and Wicked Twister. Magnum's third hill was reprofiled a few years after it opened. Wicked Twister had added supports to its spikes.

Also if it counts Dragster had its trains altered after the tire incident.

Last edited by pointperson,

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

I remember Snake River Falls originally having a violent plunge into the water, which threw you against the bar when it opened.

I believe I remember that they re-profiled the bottom of the drop to ease into the water and modified the restraints to correct the issue.

Additionally, there's Mean Streak, which had its first turn re-profiled and trim brakes added.

Last edited by Ffej,

You can't forget about the pointless now trim brake on Mantis.

That's interesting, I didn't know that Magnum had work done to it as well as Snake River Falls. Thanks for that input! I hate the trim brakes, especially on Maverick's hill after the launch and on Mantis. It still bums me out everytime I watch the animated pov of Maverick with the heartline roll, though.

Here Come the Irish!

Also, Magnum's track on the pretzel turn was replaced with track that had a larger backbone.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Was Snake River Falls' drop realy reprofiled or did they just play with the water level.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

I think they did a little bit of an adjustment to the roll out track at the bottom of the drop and maybe the water level, they never reprofiled the actual hill. Also, when Snake River Falls first opened they had thin lap bars on the ride, this was later changed to the lap bars that are on the ride now, that keep your chest from going forward too far. I think the biggest change happened a couple years ago when they but magnetic trim brakes on the drop.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Gemini had a section of its track on the final run back to the station reprofiled. I think it was originally a bunny hop and it was later replaced with a section of flat track.

KHTOExtreme said:
You can't forget about the pointless now trim brake on Mantis.

Why is that even there?

Not a coaster but the CP&LE RR has been moved at least 4 times! The tracks used to be on the Cedars side of the Engine House then were moved so Perimeter road could be built. The station was moved from the end of the midway to the end of the new million dollar midway. The tracks were moved over for both Millineum and Maverick. Oh and the third trestle was removed and filled in to building of Snake. Then of course rails and ties are always being replaced as a part of routine maintanence!

CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

Was it moved for Mantis?

Let's Get Weird.

From Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Europe) they modified Drachen Fire. They took out a corkscrew after the brake run towards the middle of the ride right before the first top-hat inversion to ever be on a roller coaster. That was hands down the best Arrow coaster behind Magnum. I can't believe they tore that thing down! I mean the first drop was a sweeping corkscrew 155ft above the ground! I miss her so much!

Why was that torn down anyway?

Promoter of fog.

I've read it was either maintenance or poor placement in the park itself.

There was a bunch of problems with it that were known and unknown... People complained about their necks, maintenance, and other things I am not sure about. It was such a wonderful ride. I was really young when it opened and I do remember it crushed your head and neck, but well worth the headache! They should have switched to lapbars and it would have solved the head problem. As for the maintenance, I'm not an engineer or mechanic, so I couldn't tell ya... Long live Drachen Fire!

Magnum was modified before the 2nd season. The bottom of the valley after the 3rd hill was raised quite a bit and the banking was changed going up into the pretzel. As stated above, the pretzel did get replaced for the '94 season.

bucks30 said:
I was driving past Adena in Mansfield, Ohio and I noticed the heartline roll from Maverick still laying there along the fence.

The heartline roll from Maverick is still sitting somewhere? Did I miss something?

What tire incident on dragster?

Magnum "Candy" Man said:
Magnum was modified before the 2nd season. The bottom of the valley after the 3rd hill was raised quite a bit.

Good old sparky in its 1st season of operation. BTW anyone have any pictures of this happening and/or night time pictures?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service