Banners in Signatures?

Yeah I'm glad there's no banners on this site as well. I hate scrolling for 20 minutes just to see 10 posts. Not to mention the 20 other minutes it takes to find the actual posts. And if you really just need to get that banner out and tell the world how awesome it is (something I doubt, but I've been wrong before), why don't you just do it on facebook or myspace or something where people MIGHT actually care?

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

^ You're kidding, right?

Cause I'm pretty sure that you have the same info that I asked about posted in your signature. Maybe you should post that stuff some place else where people MIGHT actually care!

Season Pass Holder Since 1998!
Brian Raymond on Coaster Buzz

Ride On Mr. Scott!

I note with irony the banner nestled between the two posts above.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

^ Haha... I thought about that as well, but I was going to leave that one alone.

Season Pass Holder Since 1998!
Brian Raymond on Coaster Buzz

Ride On Mr. Scott!

That's not for attention, that's so you can enjoy the site for free. If you're not enjoying it, well, you know.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I was wondering what banner they were talking about.

12 bucks for ad-free is worth it 100%.

Goodbye MrScott

John

^^That doesn't change the fact that it's ironic. And I never said I wasn't enjoying it.

^I paid for premium Pointbuzz last year. When the new version was released, hey presto, I had ads. Now it could be that my year 'subscription' expired right when the new version came out -- a highly unlikely coincidence, but still possible. Or that it had expired somewhat earlier and I never noticed until the new version came out -- much more likely, given my brain.

What would be good is if an automatic e-mail could be sent out to members when their year expires, as a reminder.

Well seeing as how there is no code to renew, and it's only feeding the legacy members, you can't renew anyway.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Ya lost me there.

In other words, there is code turning off ads for people who paid for it, but we're not taking any new memberships in the program. For a dozen people a year, it wasn't really worth it.

Along the lines of "obnoxious...distractionary crap", it really irritates me that I have to scroll through all the "Re: Banners in Signatures?" or whatever the title is in EVERY POST. Sometimes I like to view this website on my phone and it is really annoying to have to read the title of the thread before every post. Seriously, is the point of the "Re: Thread Title"? The forum lists the title of the thread right at the top and bottom of the webpage and in the title thing of the window (can't think of the name right now) where it says "CP Fourm - THREAD TITLE - Windows Internet Explorer". Just a suggestion since we are talking about streamlining the forums. It is also kind of funny seeing your random avatar photos fill up the whole screen of my phone when I am scrolling through a thread. Especially the one of the evil looking clown.

Four discount funday tickets to Cedar Point: $130.96
Overnight stay at Breakers Express: $70
Riding rides the size of skyscrapers while "legally" breaking the local speed limit: Priceless

well I don't know about Adam's, but I think my Avatar looks pretty darn good! ;)

I guess I could see an issue if you're looking at it on your phone... but honestly. Is it really THAT critical that you look at point buzz updates even when you're away from your computer? *braces for the oncoming attack*

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

Jeff said:

In other words, there is code turning off ads for people who paid for it, but we're not taking any new memberships in the program. For a dozen people a year, it wasn't really worth it.

Thanks for the clarification. I did pay for Premium Pointbuzz sometime in 2007, but I guess the year must have run out before the switchover.

DVO - only the right side. ;)

Jeff - when my year is up, will I still be able to go ad-free, or am I going to be stuck with ads? (or better yet, I am permanently ad-free). Just want to check.

Goodbye MrScott

John

When it's done, it's done. We don't have any plans, at the moment, to re-do it.

You can turn off avatars and signatures in your profile. The titles are a contrasting color and the eye tends to skip right over them. If you can't take scrolling over one extra line on your phone, I don't know what to tell you. And people can change the title when they reply.

Dvo said:
Is it really THAT critical that you look at point buzz updates even when you're away from your computer? *braces for the oncoming attack*

No, but sometimes I have some downtime away from a computer, and Pointbuzz on my phone is a fun way to use some spare time when I don't have access to a computer.

Thanks for clarifying that the titles can be changed Jeff. I didn't realize that. Very few people actually take advantage of that feature, so it ends up looking like it is a pointless (pun not intended) feature, when it is actually useful if it is used.

Last edited by cdrptrks,

Four discount funday tickets to Cedar Point: $130.96
Overnight stay at Breakers Express: $70
Riding rides the size of skyscrapers while "legally" breaking the local speed limit: Priceless

Boo @ losing ad-free. Was there really that little of interest in the Premium? Those pop ups are irritating!

I'll second that, Ben.

The ads weren't terrible before the rewrite, but the pop-ups and the fact that now banner ads are in-line in the threads makes the loss of ad-support pretty damn lousy.

Boo and curses and so forth...

I see one pop-up per day using Firefox. I'm not sure how you're seeing more unless you're using IE.

One is infinitely worse than none.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service