If you could change a ride name...

I think Mantis should be renamed to something else. Such as Headache....lol. Thats just a joke but how about this. They should've named it The Lion. I mean it would fit it perfectly because its loud.

anyone remember when demon drop was nicknamed lemon drop when it first opened because it shut down so often?

Sounds familiar...

-S. Eagle

Smoking Marijuana isn't a bad thing or even a good one, like everything else, its what you make of it.

Name changes? Some possibilities:

"Disaster RipSnort" (How did I travel through space and end up only in Alaska?)

"Spleen Streak" (for the damage incurred).

Mantis would become "The Nutcracker" (for men only; gals will have to come up with their own affectionate name).

Corkscrew could be the: "Wasn't I an inch taller when I got on this thing."

Millennium could be: "Porky's Revenge" since larger folks aren't really welcome there, at least as of last season.

And TTD could be: "Is the Ride Over Already (after somewhere between 17 and 22 seconds)?"

Just some idears.

Hey, I love em all. Well, maybe not the Corkscrew and Mantis, but I ride em anyway.

*** Edited 1/4/2005 9:34:32 AM UTC by Boatman***

Top Thrill Dragster changed to Top Thrill Phallus.

The problem with that Fury is that I can't be at the park all summer, so TTP just won't work.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I always thought Power Tower was a pretty lame name.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

And now for something completely different...

There was much confusion way back when when Wave Swinger and Ocean Motion opened; the names are too similar in connotation. Look at OM in operation; its pendulum-like "Swings" mimic a boat on the "Waves". How about calling it "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride"?

(Kidding! Too much use of "Gay" in the other posts so I couldn't resist.)

Anyway, instead of "Wave Swinger" I'd have picked a name that fits better with the theming, like something they would have used at early amusement parks 95 years ago. "Fairground Swings" or "Flying Zephyr", for example.

Corkscrew actually was introduced as Great Lake Eric Roller when it was announced in 1975 but the board didn't like the name. There used to be an article at the Sandusky Library about it.

Ooops I meant Great Lake Erie Roller.

I think all the rides at CP are named very creatively (with the exception of Mean Streak), but if I had to I'd change Iron Dragon....I mean can coasters even be made out of iron?

"I love flying overseas-you know, like canada and stuff"-Britney Spears

I've always thought it was interesting that when so many other parks install a flat and give it a creative name (to match a themed area, usually) that CP has always pretty much stuck to the generic name for theirs. Hence the name Wave Swinger- no creative thought processes there. Or for Monster, Super Himalaja, Calypso, Troika, etc. And who in their right mind wouldn't have jumped at the chance to rename the Schwabinchen? But it didn't happen. Then you come to the few exceptions - Ocean Motion for Pirate, Witches Wheel for Enterprise, maxAir for Giant Frisbee. Am I missing any? And I wonder who was working behind the desk at Cedar Point planning dept the day those few rides were named, and why the difference?

I'm the oldest one here. CP emp '73-'74

I ove the name Iron Dragon. It gives the ride a tough image. ;)

I do like the name "Mantis" for the ride. I think it fits with the whole standing theme...though I've never seen a red, yellow, and purple mantis before.

Going with nicknames, I've never hear of Iron Pumpking but I've heard the Wicked Twister called Twisted Sister

Anyway I am happy with all the rides' names. I think Cedar Point did well with not theming the park. It just makes the park more original.

I agree, it gives it a tough image. And that's a problem. A tough image for a wimpy ride. It'd be like renaming Woodstock's Express Steel Phantom or somethin.......or maybe that's just me......:/

I like CP's choice in names. If you go by the color of things, when have you seen a green bird other than one found in a rain forest. A bird of prey are usually brown. The colors are done to appeal to the rest of the park. I bet more people rode ID in 2004 than 2003 because of the new paint that made it look like new.

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

I bet more people rode it in 2004 because they thought it was TTD.... ;P

What that wasn't?

I think that the Mean Streak name is ok. In realtion to Blue Streak, it is a wood coaster that is a little meaner than the original.

This is a fun thread.

Could anyone be less serious?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service