Big Slick Tire Falls Off

Just got back from CP and wanted to let everyone know that one of the big slick tires on the back of the blue train actually fell off tonight. As the train was comming into the brakes, the train slowed down, but the tire kept going. It ended up flying past the electical building and stoped under Iron Dragon's low zone right by TTD's exit ramp. It happened to be the train after mine, and the train before my friend's train. They sent 2 more trains before they realized what had happened.

Of course, as soon as they found out the tire came off, a literal fleet of maintenence workers came running to the ride while the ride ops tried to fend off the people gathering to look. The axle did not break off of the train, the tire fell off of the axle. There was still at least an hour wait when I left, and they were still promising that anyone who stayed in line would get to ride. Looking at the webcam, it looks like there are still people on the platform.

----------------
-Chris Woodard
"If you're standing in an uncomfortable position, that means you are in the right position because you are riding Mantis!" - Mantis ride op doing spiels on closing day.

Just a few opinions I wanted to mention along with that post. First, we should be very glad that this fell off where it did and not when it was 420 feet in the air. Secondly, we will obviously see the tires take a vacation again, I just hope it's not permanant. I was surprised all along that they went with the real tires as heavy as those things are. I don't think we'll see them disappear, Goodyear is probably putting up some bucks for their name on those. If anything, we will probably see fake Goodyear tires show up made of fiberglass (just like the mock engines) or some other light weight material. I noticed while in line that the tires were spinning again, which I thought was supposed to have been corrected when they took them off last week. Also, before anyone asks, I do not have any pictures (I should have listened to that instinct that told me to bring my camera today) but there was a few others getting pics. Don't know if they post here, but if they do, they'll show up here soon enough.

------------------
-Chris Woodard
"If you're standing in an uncomfortable position, that means you are in the right position because you are riding Mantis!" - Mantis ride op doing spiels on closing day.
*** This post was edited by Ralph Wiggum 5/26/2003 1:48:45 AM ***

I was just about to get in the station for my first ride when that happoned. I had to wait another hour and a half before i got to ride. I wish they would have told us what they were doing cause for the most part it looked like they were just standing around, which is really frustraiting to see. Then they started things goin again so everyone got excited then they just took the green train off. I was so bored. Then i got to ride it front car and it was the greatest thing i've ever rod the wait was so worth it.

------------------
Just can't live in that negative way... Make way for the positive Day

Did they take the tires off before you rode?

------------------
-Chris Woodard

Also when the removed the green train they it took double the time to launch the three cars. It took the same time to launch only 3 as it would to launch 6. Had they left the green one on it would have been perfect because with 4 everything would have been eve. Side not they were running very smoothly up until that little "technical difficulty".

------------------

nope, they left all the tires on

------------------

Ralph, I don't know if it is the way that you worded that or if it is that I am slap happy, but that is funny! I know it is not funny, but picturing it in my mind just looks so damn funny! haha!
Thank God it didn't hit anybody. The press would have had a field day.

MrScott

------------------
"If we go any faster, she'll blow apart for sure!"

Wow, all i have to say. My jaw dropped when i heard about this. "Thank God it didn't hit anybody." But seriously, How could CP have been so careless to just put the tires back on after taking them off and having this happen a few days after. I REALLY hope they make stronger supports for the tires so we'll see the tires again. CP isnt really having much luck with theming.

------------------
- Dennis
When I die, They'll read this And say a genius wrote it.
http://drinkduff.com/
*** This post was edited by Big D 5/26/2003 9:53:17 AM ***

I thought real dragster tires were very light weight?!?

------------------
ONE freeway stamp a day... ONE

I don't know about you but I am starting to like the ride better without the tires.

------------------
-Hey I'm from Toledo, Bob
Dragster Trials: 1
Felt the Force : 1

Vanessa, I have also heard that real dragster tires are light weight, but I can't believe that after the first tire fell off, that Cedar Point kept the tires to the other trains on too.
"The train slowed down, but the tire kept going.."a
LMAO. In all seriousness, I am starting to wonder about TTD overall. Yes, it fell off at the brakes, but what about the metal piece that fell off and hit the brake run on Thursday? That was from at least 300 ft in the air. Maybe it has to do with the "Made in China" tag on each train??
------------------
To be continued.

Bear in mind though that the tire fell off the axle. I'm not sure how they are attached, but I would think they would need nothing more than a straight pin to hold the things on. When I rode in the morning yesterday, all the tires were stationary on the trains, but by that night, 3 or 4 of the trains were hitting the brakes with spinning tires.

------------------
-Chris Woodard

About what time did the tire come off? I was there watching it untill after 9:00 and saw nothing and i heard it run for a while after that too at my camper.

------------------
"Scream early because once you reach 420 feet, no one will hear you!"-TOP THRILL DRAGSTER

Around 11:15 PM.

------------------
-Chris Woodard

Actually those tires are very, very heavy. I am a drag racer and have rear tires somewhat smaller than those on Top thrill, and those are a chore to bring from the tire garage back to the hauler in the pits. Any size of of tire flying off a vehicle is a nightmare. Not rtying to induce a panic or anything by saying something like that, just saying they arent light at all. Actual Top Fuel cars are very lightweight for drag cars though wich I think a few might have been thinking of.
On a lighter note, the fog was working.

------------------
That's Ridiculous™

What fog? Do you mean the smoke they shoot out behind the train just as it launches.
Yes, Ryan.

------------------
That's Ridiculous™

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service