Winnebego Paddlewheel closed for 2013

The Paddlewheel tours from the Marina will be closed this summer -- this news direct from their Facebook page....wonder what they have up their sleeve? I really enjoyed this the past two seasons, but have never had a trip with more than 5 people on it...

From their page:

"With mixed feelings we are announcing today that the Winnebago will be sitting out this season in order to ready the boat and finalize our big plans for 2014! It's time to move on to bigger and better things! While we cannot tip our hat at this point into what we have been working on, we will be sure to announce it here first and then have a press release when it is time. We would like to thank all of you who have enjoyed a ride on the Winnebago and we hope to entertain you again in 2014 from a much different venue. Have a wonderful and safe summer!"

Just FYI (and you may or may not already know this but I am sure others do not) but the Winnebego rides were never operated by Cedar Point. The boat was sold to private parties who paid the park to operate out of the marina. Most likely they were paying too much for that right and not making enough sales.

I would have loved to get a ride around the point, kinda wish I had at some time. Especially the night cruises they offered.

Morté aka Matt, Ego sum nex
Dragon's Fire Design: http://www.dragonsfiredesign.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mattdrake

Yes, I knew that, and it was a lovely trip out to the edge of Frontiertown and then back -- and amazing opportunity to get some photos from the waterside...

I know it wasn't working for them -- I spoke with the manager on many occasions. Apparently it was a fight to even get them onto the map last year, and then it doesn't explain what it is, just where it is. They didn't allow them to do restaurant trifolds or advertise anywhere within the park, although they did allow them to put a flyer in the hotel rooms (once, so those probably disappeared pretty fast). And they also would not permit them to put a sign on the midway pointing to the ride out on the marina -- and that seems just petty...

Maybe the Winnebego will be a vehicle or prop in their future dark ride;)

Last edited by kevkevdel,

-Kevin

Maybe they will be the new boats on Shoot the Rapids.

Promoter of fog.

First Harbor Belle and now Winnebego Paddlewheel. *Sigh*

You know, a trip around the peninsula by boat is actually a REALLY nice way to spend some time. Sometimes I wish Cedar Point would use the lake more as a resource and less as a backdrop.

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

Bummer to read. I was surprised when I realized they were still going last year, and took the opportunity to go on a ride. I think it would have been a lot more popular with a little advertising.

Last season my wife and I actually got to take a private ride on it at sunset. It was a really nice way to end the day. We were the only two on the boat except for the pilot and his apprentice.

Firemen never die, they just burn forever in the hearts of the people whose lives they saved

Maybe it will be used in the lagoons like the western cruise and take people for an excursion :) The park may get rid of the dinosaurs in 2014 and move that bridge to allow a new paddlewheel ride once again....one can only hope :)

I think when they said different venue they meant not at CP. I can see them offering cruises at Put-In-Bay for example.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Unless things have chabged, they plan to keep the dinos for 7 years.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

^ I wonder if they will get a bump in attendance for DA because of the release of Jurassic Park 3D

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

And then Jurassic Park 4 next summer.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Clever girl... :)

I'm not sure DA needs additional advertising -- its consistently attended every day...

I agree though that I don't think the Winnebego will be back at CP -- which is a loss. Most likely one of the other resort towns along the lake...

Maybe out at marblehead, or a river cruise in toledo.

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service