Waterpark parking opens at 9:30

Not sure I really understand the point of them doing this, but figured I'd let everyone know.

This past Saturday, they had a sign up near the toll booths that said "Warerpark parking opens at 9:30." I figured there wouldn't be anyone to stop me so I drove back anyway and sure enough, they had the lot gated off with someone standing there. Figured I'd park in the little camper village lot and move later. Nope, that was blocked too. They also had a gaurd/gate keeping people from getting into the Sandcastle lot. Getting a bit annoyed that our ERT was going to be eaten up if I had to go all the way back to the front, I told the guy at the gate to the CP Shores lot that we wanted to go to the waterpark later, but wanted to go into CP for ERT first (a true story on this occasion although we've parked back there for years waterpark or not). He seemed to understand and he directed us to park in the Planning and Design lot which I did and it looked like a handful of other people had too.

So in the end, it wasn't a huge deal. Got a glimpse of them installing the MCBR on RMC Mean Streak, but I just thought this was odd. What's the point of keeping it gated until 9:30? I am guessing it's to keep the lot for waterpark patrons, but certainly we're not the only guests who want to do both in the same day and also arrive early. Is there something logical that I'm missing?

Last edited by MDOmnis,

-Matt

This time of year I normally go to both parks in one day and park in the back too. I'm not usually there for early entry so I haven't encountered this yet.

I was there on Tuesday the 27th and the same thing happened to me. I was able to park in the camper village lot though.

There is less general admission parking with the lot reconfiguration and the attendants don't really have a way to verify you will be at CPS so this is the solution. Despite intentions we never get out the door at 6:30AM to make ERT but I suppose an option would be the shuttle service? Is it available for non-overnight guests?

It's unfortunate because I would put a swimsuit in my car and decide on the fly if I want to go to the waterpark. Guess I can't do that if I show up early now.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

I had the same problem this morning! Wanted to hit ERT and hit the waterpark afterwards! I wasn't parking in the prefered parking so what is the difference! I have been doing it for ages! I have lunch in the car so it makes it convienant instead of going all the way to the Front of the park! Missed 1/2 of ERT because I had to wait to park the car!

RollerCoasters and Rock Concerts! Life in the fast Lane!!

They were doing this last year in July as well. When I posted on here that they were, some on here said 'never seen it, didn't happen, and generally called B.S. cause they've parked there for years etc...'

Well it only makes sense as the CPS lot has been so overflowing with cars that they've been using the Breakwater Cafe lot, P&D Lot and surrounding lawn as parking. Whats more inconvenient, the people that are just going to CPS parking at the front of the park or people going to CP & CPS parking at the front.

I think this also makes it pretty clear there is not going to be an additional gate added for LHP Guest/Enthusiast access. It would only add more congestion in the overflowing lot.

Im actually surprised they don't just stop people without resort passes before the Marina gate until 9:30, It'd save on payroll and increase sales of premium parking/valet.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

I can see why they are doing that. With the popularity of Cedar Point Shores, parking has been an issue in the back of the park. I sat on the boat yesterday (not the first time I have witnessed this) and just watched bumper to bumper traffic for hours to get to the back of the park. I can only imagine it was taking a good 30 minutes to get from the main gate around to the back. We took a stroll late in the afternoon and there wasnt any parking to be found in the back. There was still 2 long line of people waiting to get into the Shores. I agree with the p arks decision to restrict parking. No reason to fill a third of the Shores parking lot up for people who just want to go into Cedar Point. There is plenty of parking in the front of the park.

Cargo Shorts said:

There is less general admission parking with the lot reconfiguration and the attendants don't really have a way to verify you will be at CPS so this is the solution. Despite intentions we never get out the door at 6:30AM to make ERT but I suppose an option would be the shuttle service? Is it available for non-overnight guests?

Yes, the shuttles are available to anyone.

Last edited by DSShives,

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Shuttles: The only problem is with the backed up traffic the shuttles are virtually land locked as perimeter road links the front and back of the park.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

The shuttles were going nowhere yesterday with the traffic. It was better just to walk.

Steve Shives

Maybe a monorail...

. . .or a Sky Ride

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

I just asked about this in another thread and people said they had been able to park in the lot before 9:30, but it looks like that's not actually the case on busy days. We've kind of changed our ERT route anyway to hit up Valravn first, but it's a pain to have to walk back to the front parking lot to then move the car to the back lot when we want to get to the waterpark in the afternoon.

Last edited by Coco,

Suddenly being a night person and not arriving for morning ERT is working in my favor.

RCMAC said:

Maybe a monorail...

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I wondered about this eventuality when I was at the park for the 5k last month. Both days the CP Shores lot was where we parked for early entry and we left around 3pm to go back to CP Express to shower and grab dinner. When we did the lot was full, they were parking people anywhere they could find space back there (in front of RMC Mean Streak even) and the traffic was backed up all the way down Perimeter Rd out to the Causeway. I wonder if they end up allowing people into preferred parking when this happens. I doubt it but it's kind of crazy to have all that backup on hot, busy days and have open spaces at the front of the CP Shores lot.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

Maybe a parking garage...

With such limited parking in the back, Im sure CP is just going into the direction that unless you are staying at Lighthouse Point, Sandcastle, or Breakers or going to the Shores, you will need to park in the main lot. There is parking capacity in the main lot, not around back. People will stop coming to the Shores if it takes them 30 mins to get around back and then cant find a parking space.

Steve Shives

I agree, parking in back should be for CP Shores. But how do you prove that a person is or is not going to CP Shores?

^ That's the thing really. How do I prove that I'm going back and forth between the two? There have been days we start at CP, go to Shores when we're hot and then switch back in the evening. No way to prove if that's your intentions. I'm not an early riser so I don't expect this change will affect me too much but I'm sure for others it's going to mean moving your car partway through the day or dragging your beach bag through the park.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service