Too much excitement for one day! (7/28)

Yes, I have seen lightning while riding the coasters many times so at first I thought it was no big deal.

When starting hearing the thunder seconds after the lightning bolts I started to question what was going on. The NOAA suggest that if you can see the lightning and hear thunder then you are in potential danger.

My worry is in the future a scenario happens where the phones die or something goes wrong with THOR that they would continue to operate the rides despite there being lightning very close. Yes, the chances of that happening are slim but you never know. Even Thorgaurd says that if their system malfunctions they are not held liable. There is no guarantee it will always work.

I personally think that if they can see lightning and hear thunder, that means it's time to shut it down.

conductive

Doh!

potentially

Doh!

------------------
- John

Yea, but if you were on MF during lightning chances are it probably wouldn't hurt you because of the wheels. I am fairly sure they are made of a non conductive material just in case a freak accident happens.

------------------
Comin up to see you guys on the 25th watch out! Beast and Night two peas in a pod?

Yeah, if it weren't for those conductive strips that drag near the wheels to dissipate static electricity.

------------------
Jeff
Webmaster/GTTP, Sillynonsense.com
"Let's stop saying 'don't quote me,' because if no one quotes you, you probably haven't said a thing worth saying." - Dogma, KMFDM

Yesterday must have been a near repeat of last Sunday. There was a pretty intense storm that blew by. Not a lot of rain, but there was a lot of very cool lightning. Rides went down a little before 8, and most flat rides reopened by 9, with the coasters opening a little after that. That penisula is a great place to watch a lightning show!

------------------
-Chris Woodard
Who finally met the infamous Magnum Dan!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service