The 4th of July storm of 1969.

This is the only storm that anyone died at Cedar Point. A man was killed by a falling tree near the breakers hotel.

This storm affected just about every town. I read some old Sandusky Register microfilms at the Sandusky library. One picture showed the old McDonald's on Cleveland road submerged in water with the golden arches sticking out of the water. The causeway was flooded out. Many guests at the park were stranded overnight. Another picture showed the corner of Milan Road and Perkins in town with businesses surrounded by water.

I was real young when the storm hit. In my hometown of Ashland we had a flood and I rememeber cars getting smashed into the town creek and streets covered with water.

It was also interesting to see how Sandusky was back then. The McDonald's was the original on Cleveland rd that still had the original design of the golden arches going through the roof and the early McDonald's sign.

I think Cedar Point was able to reopen the next day but I am not sure of that.

Does anyone rememeber this storm?

The storm of July 4, 1969 is the one that all others are compared to. It was 37 years ago and my parents still talk about it on a regular basis. They have a great story about my dad making the drive home to Huron from Sandusky during the height of the storm.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

My uncle was in the park back in the 80's when a funnel cloud passed over the point and did some tree damage. I am gonna have to do some googling to see if i can't find any pics or stories about the July 4th, 1969 storm. Maybe we can convince The Weather Channel to do a STORM STORIES on it.

that storm in the 80's was when i worked there in 86. i worked at the giant wheel that year, in its original location. lived in the cedars and during the height of the storm we were watching the wheel turn like crazy from the wind. a huge tree fell across from thunder canyon on the restrooms, another tree hit the gaurd house that was near the blue streak turnaround and destoyed it. most of the flags that were on the midway were bent over also, it was crazy.
*** Edited 6/23/2006 3:44:49 AM UTC by t canyon 87***

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service