Old Cedar Point Souvenir park Maps 1973/1974 information.

I used to be a die-hard (trying to get back into) collector of old CP souvenir poster size park maps. My earliest is from 1969. First question, did the park sell any poster size ones before this year? (not park brochure size/ but poster size). Does anyone have any on here?
A major error I've discovered lately is that I was always told that the vertical layout map from early 1970's (with black waves in the water) was from 1973, but I'm now seeing that it could be from 1972 also (first year of Giant Wheel/Jumbo Jets) as it also matches up with the inside of the park brochure from that same year. It would also make sense that more people bought those that year (1972) since CP highlighted two major ride additions and I've seen more of those on Ebay lately for sale. The major thing I've noticed on the 1974 maps was that CP went back to the horizontal style layout and there were no major ride additions, the only major change on these later maps would be the new "walled-off" fence area under the Jumbo Jets coaster by the Fudge and Refreshement stands.
Second question, anyone own a 1975 map or have a scan (with new CP Cinema but no corkscrew on it)? I sold one 4 years ago and have yet to see another listed for sale online! BTW, 2000 and 2001 souvenir maps are generally misidentified online. 2001 would have Lighthouse Point at the top of the peninsula, 2000's would not. Seems as though the 1985-89 ones (with Avalanche Run) are the ones I see the least of lately. Do you own/collect any old maps?

Last edited by CPfan1976,

The oldest I've seen is the one from 1969. It was sold along with a souvenir book.
1969 Map
The horizontal vs vertical seemed to rotate every other year for a while. I haven't looked to see if there was a pattern to that or not. I have every map from 1969 on except the following years: 1974, 1978, 1979, 1984, 1986, 1993, 1998, 2004

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Wow -- I have that 1969 map as well...and it's in terrible condition. Lee Jewett's son gave it to me in grade school and I've cherished it, thinking I was the only one who had one! I have many maps from the 70's through present but haven't taken the time to see what I'm missing. Too bad I used to hang them in my room and let them get torn. Kings Island used to sell those too, a long time ago.

Jason, an old site you used to update back in 2008 (with brochure insides,etc) is the reason for my recent discovery (inside 1972 brochure) for the mistake of the 1972 map, I always knew it to be 1973, which is inaccurate. Thanks for posting that years ago, you should update it if you can, it's a great site. I own that vertical souvenir map (with the black waves in the water.) BTW, there is a 1969 and 1974 both MINT park maps on Ebay right now! I've heard the 1973/74 map is identical (with the walled off area) since there were no additions to the park in either year. Is your 1973 map like the 1974 one currently on ebay? Did the early 70's souvenir books have maps also in them?
Coasterbob62, thoroughly enjoy watching your youtube videos of old Pirate ride and CP footage along with current Halloweekends stuff, keep posting that stuff, someone does watch it! Did you see the Earthquake guy in the Boo Hill house window this year? I noticed it right away. Anyhow....I could have sworn Walt posted some pics of pre-1969 CP maps years ago on the old site, hence the reason for part of my question. I sold my collection of park brochures years ago and will probably never get them back including the 1967 one that pictured Sealand which the CP site to this day still lists as debuting in 1970. Thanks for the info.

Thanks CPfan1976. I didn't see the Earthquake guy...I'm going to have to look through my footage again. I need to pay attention to those details! I hope to continue to post CP footage for years to come...I haven't grown weary of it yet, although it's nice to have a break from it right now!

1969 is the only year that I am aware of in which the souvenir book came with a map.

I would love to keep the page more up to date. Priorities change over the years. It's my intention to update it more in the future. Though, I have no time frame as to when. I've continued to collect via eBay, just not scan and update the site.

I think some of the brochures have maps pre-1969. But, I've never seen the full blown souvenir maps before 1969. I will check the eBay listings you mentioned later tonight.

The map listed as 1974 is the one I have. The 1971 was vertical and the 1972 was horizontal. I was just making a guess that since mine was horizontal that it was 1973. I don't see a real was of dating it between 1973 and 1974. I have 2 and have seen many more that all look the same.

^ This one (vertical/see your link below ) should be the 1972 park souvenir map that matches the inside of the brochure of the same year that you posted. Hence the reason for this original post. I googled "1972 cedar Point brochure....and found your site which listed inside/outside, and MAP (where I found the pic). The 1973 and 1974 horizontal versions of the park souvenir map are identical. (the one on Ebay you just saw (1974) could be either date (73or74) since there were no changes to the park during those years except the walled off area (between Taffy/fudge and refreshment stand and next to JJ coaster) that the park added that I mentioned earlier under Jumbo Jets). My 1972 vertical souvenir map along w/your brochure/map are missing this wall. Previous 1973 dated maps sold and listed on Ebay lately were dated wrongly,partially due to some info I was given and emailed some sellers. The horizontal one currently on Ebay dated 1974 is correct (with the walled off area) should be identical to a "true" 1973 one also. I know, very confusing. Again 1972' map should be vertical. I will link the vertical map I own below (previously thought to be a 1973, it's not) , it matches exactly your 72' brochure map. Compare both your 1972 brochure MAP (on your site) you'll see that they're identical, especially the black waves in the water:
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com/CP_Brochures/1972_pg_map.jpg

and the souvenir map that I own :

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii572/CPpixx/000_0802.jpg

Yours is definitely a 72 map. Jumbo Jet/Giant Wheel Opened in 1972 and 1972 was Twister's last season. Twister can be seen just to the right of Wildcat. I'll pull out my 72 souvenir map again. I really thought it was horizontal.

UPDATE! This same vertical map that we're discussing has been just listed Sunday 11/18/12 (1973 map) on Ebay with a dated (july 1973) receipt!! The map on Ebay perfectly matches the inside of the 1972 park brochure's map. I think we've both been right all along that this SAME vertical style map (with black waves in water) was used for BOTH the 72/73 seasons! Remember there were no new ride additions to the park in 1973 so why would they change the map? There WAS a new walled off area added to CP in 1974 under the Jumbo jets coaster (no new rides though) which changed the map to the horizontal style listed on Ebay recently. I think that this mystery has finally been solved!

Stumbled upon this discussion. I am the one actually bought that 73 map with the receipt last week. I threw a bid out there that I thought would easily be beat, but surprised it wasnt..

Thanks for all the information listed about the older maps. I actually was lucky to find a 69 souvenir book with a perfect map this morning at the flea market in Amherst..

I was hoping there were earlier ones created, but Jason has answered that one..

Jason, your site is awesome. Definitely has some killed some time when I get that 230 feeling at work and I dont feel like doing anything else.

Ah, Jamie's! I used to frequent that place alot. I never could find that much CP stuff up there though. Nice find, curious to what you paid. One just went for $100 recently. I have the 1969 one myself in mint shape.
I'm amazed that all of a sudden alot of the 72/73 maps along with the 69' one are hitting Ebay and all within weeks of each other. Still trying to get back a late 70's and mid 80's one again after selling mine years ago.
Agree that Jason's old site is awesome but needs updated. BTW, Jason the Trabant ride debuted in 1966. It's vaguely pictured as a circle (next to Scrambler) inside that year's brochure and incorrectly labeled as "flying coaster". That was always the exact location of the ride. I have old pic of it in my collection.

I was just killing time waiting for my wife and daughter getting a hot dog, and I saw it out of the corner of my eye. Had $12 listed on it, I was reaching for my wallet, and the lady said I will take $8.. The cover has a little discoloration on it in the bottom right corner, but the program is in great shape. The map is flawless, probably was never unfolded until I opened it to see what it looked like. Of course, now half tempted to sell it, but I doubt I will find another one if I do and would ultimately regret it..

^ great steal of a deal. BTW, including the 2012 season, there should be a total of 41 different year variation park souvenir poster maps starting with the earliest in 1969. There were also 6 different art styles during this time. From my research, I'm pretty certain that the 1972/73 maps are the same as well as the 1983/84 one. There were no noticeable additions to the park in those years.

Wow - 41 different styles!?! I used to love to collect them but the cartoony Cedar Fair souvenir map style that has evolved since 1988 doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the more architectural tone used on the wider maps - my favorites being 1969, 1978, 1979 and 1984 - 1987.

Long time lurker who used to be JUMBO JET.

I bought a map the last year I worked there, 1974. It was destroyed in the course of my first marraige. It took nearly ten years of trolling eBay to find it's replacement. It cost way more than the fifty cents the original cost, but it was worth it.

^^ I agree, the 1969 one I have linked below is one of my favorites also. I'm still looking for a late 70s one! If you ever want to sell to sell one, let me know, haha!

The souvenir map cost inflation is probably one of the few things that have stood the test of time. Back in 1974 it was .50, in 1989 price was only .70 and today it's only .99! (not even doubled in almost 40 years!)
^^ My bad, With the 2013 park season, there are 43 different map YEAR variations, only 8 different styles really, I edited post to fix that, thanks!
The links below show the different styles: From 1969-84 they were solid rolled /not folded (retro realistic)>>> 1985-88 (amazement park cover style Ex: kid eating ice cream!)>>>1989-93 red,orange,purple diag.CP logo>>>1994-96 (round circle cover w/yellow &orange CP logo,not shown)>>>1997-99 (round circle cover w/neon green CP flag logo>>> 2000-2009 (modern cover 4 square top pics), 2010-2012(modern 4 square bottom pics), 2013 (modern 4 square w/Gatekeeper pic

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii572/CPpixx/100_1910.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Cedar-Point-Park-Map-Poster-sandusky-o...20ce333c61

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii572/CPpixx/100_1913.jpg

edited 5/12/2013

CPfan1976 said:
^^ If you ever want to sell to sell one, let me know, haha!

I missed collecting until 1980 so I'm looking out for those myself! My friends had them on their bedroom walls and I would borrow them to draw my own, but as much as I begged they never parted with them. I'm sure they all ended up in the trash a long time ago. Grrr lol.

Long time lurker who used to be JUMBO JET.

I have a couple extra from different years. Don't remember which ones at the moment.

^ going to try and send you message in a minute. Happy Holidays!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service