New things for 2003

Here are some little new things which I don't know if I have seen mentioned yet.

1. Mean Streak gets new lap bars-

I rode Mean Streak for the first time this year Sunday. I noticed they now have the newer style "staple proof" PTC lap bars, which are much nicer compared to the older ones. However it doesn't really make much of a difference since there is no air on Mean Streak. Blue Streak on the otherhand got the new ones in 2001 and that made a big improvement.

2. Raptor Midcourse Brake, no longer used as trim.

Never yet have I seen it on. The train just flies rigt through unchecked every time. Makes the helix at the end extra intense.

3. Magnum axulilary queue fenced off.

Not only is there a fence in front of the far entrance, but the opening which connects it ot the rest of the queue has been welded shut. To me this make little sense, in that it's not hurting anything by having it usable since the extra queue is still there anyway. Plus if you catch a busy day where Dragster is Down (everyday :)) and MF is too, they are screwed.

-------------------
Lifetime Countage
Magnum-1021 MF-458 Dragster -10
"It looks like Christmas in there with all those pretty red trouble lights flashing"

2. Yeah, noticed that right away. I think they slow it down a lot more at the final brakes instead so the train very gradually slides down. Crew has been pretty on too, so the trains have not been stacking.

3. Agreed. Seems kind of silly. I mean, if they know they'll never need it again (and I suspect they won't), why not just remove it entirely? And can we get a real damn sign for the ride? Since the pines have grown up it's not immediately obvious to first-timers that it is indeed the Magnum queue.

------------------
Jeff - Webmaster/Admin - CoasterBuzz.com - Sillynonsense.com
DELETED!

Agreed Jeff...

Just last Thursday while waiting for friends outside the Magnum entrance I watched two different groups of people walk up to the attendant and ask what ride it was.

------------------
James Draeger
"But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do"

It seems that everytime I'm there I see a bunch of people try and get into the line via the Freeway Merge Point entrance on Magnum. They need more of a sign to the regular entrance, or I guess just deal with some people who cant figure it out.

------------------
2003 Statistics
Top Thrill Dragster: 5
Millennium Force: 17
Trips to the point: 13

Agreed with the Magnum sign... very easy to miss the entrance.

Two things I'd like to add:

4. The water fountain near Magnum's entrance was removed. That had some of the best water in the park!

5. Air gates added to the Mine Ride. I really didn't see them as necessary, but from CP's standpoint I can see the safety issues that could be brought up without it.

------------------
Tommy Penner - YoYoBaybeeMan
"Sunday, Sunday, Someday!"

Regarding the water fountain near Magnum...two new ones were installed on the nearby restroom building between the two entrances.

------------------
James Draeger
"But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do"

One of the major improvements that I have noticed is the painting, Mantis and Raptor look brand new. If they haven't done anything to the ride, they both feel better two. They have definitely been working on the overall appearance of the park, but one of my favorite things still from last year is Wicked Twister area, it is just a terrific area that looks like the park revolves around this ride when you are over there. It has the flags all in front of it and it has Wicked Twister in the ground right in front of it, I almost wish it was on a wall so that I could take a picture with it.

I did notice Raptor didn't even seem to slow down when it got to the section to get it to slow down, and so has Mantis, but than again they never seemed to slow the train down as when you are standing there watching it. I am just depressed when I see the poor wire fencing when you go up Iron Dragon, looks like the park was made by the unexperienced or something. That is one thing that really needs to be taken away and replaced with something professional, and Wild Cat is just an Eye sore, that purple and bright lime green is deadly, they should just theme the ride and get it covered up behind a building like Roadrunner in Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

------------------
Life has it's ups and downs, might as well make it on a coaster!

No, don't enclose and theme wildcat. Please don't make another indoor ""themed"" ride like DT. Spare us!

------------------
Due To Budget Cuts, The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Has Been Turned Off.
MilleNNium is spelled with two n's people!

The Raptor was painted in 2002 and they have turn the brake run off atleast it was when I was there a couple weeks ago.

------------------
2003 stats: Trips to CP-2
Dragster-0 Millennium-3 Twister-1 Magnum-5 Raptor-2 Mantis-2 Mean Streak-0:( Power tower-3

Not to get off the topic but a just noticed Blue streak REALLY needs a paint-job.
------------------
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Are your ready for some speed? We've got 120 miles per hour! Are you ready to get vertical? We've got 420 feet. Are you ready for the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in the world?! ARE YOU READY FOR TOP THRILL DRAGSTER?!?

Just a note to add about your signature: TopThrill420,

Seems to me that the only time I hear that, is when the ride is down, which is kinda like ironic humor...isn't it? ;)
------------------
"What time does the 10 pm laser show start?"

Raptor got repainted for the 2001 season. I'm pretty sure they never trimmed on the midcourse last year either. Blue streak was painted before the 2002 season, there's just been a lot of wood replacement since then.

------------------
-Chris Woodard
"We got pop and Gatorade over here for $100 a bottle, so have your credit card ready. Seriously, the food here is so expensive, I just eat the condiments because I can't afford a meal." - MF que DJ 6/16/03

I'm pretty sure it was trimmed last year. Maybe not all of the day, but at night it definantly felt like it was.

------------------
LeWiS

Well, I'm not sure if these have been discussed because I've been working a lot lately at the park rather than checking this site, but I noticed two things today.

...6. It appears that on Power Tower they have retrofitted the drop side cars with brake fins on each corner and they extend above the cars. In turn they have added corresponding brake calipers on the top of the drop side towers. I'm not exactly sure why they would add these mid-season after 5 years of operation.

7. I don't know what to think about this one, it may be a good sign for the lovers of the Pirate Ride, or it could be nothing. Today I went over to ride Blue Streak and was talking to one of my friends about the arcade and I was shocked to find an empty building. Everything from the arcade has been taken out, and all that remains is the backdrop for the old Pirate Ride.

------------------
...and the most anticipated event of summer 2003 is...

The Matrix: Reloaded!

I asked about #7 and then did a small article about it a couple of weeks ago. There's an answer to the 'why' ... but there are no plans ... yet.

------------------
Walt Schmidt - Virtual Midway

....yet indeed. I don't see a coaster going there, but perhaps a different dark ride, or even a flat ride could go there, but then again, who knows..who cares?
------------------
"What time does the 10 pm laser show start?"

MiLLeNNiuMRiDeR said:

5. Air gates added to the Mine Ride. I really didn't see them as necessary, but from CP's standpoint I can see the safety issues that could be brought up without it.

I found that odd too, I understand the safety issues and everything, but if air gates are needed for any coaster it would be Gemini. Mine Ride's gates are too far from the train for anyone to slip, fall, and roll a yard or two down into the track. :)

------------------
-Eric
"Jackpot!"
*** This post was edited by eric 7/9/2003 10:29:14 PM ***

eric said:

MiLLeNNiuMRiDeR said:

I found that odd too, I understand the safety issues and everything, but if air gates are needed for any coaster it would be Gemini. Mine Ride's gates are too far from the train for anyone to slip, fall, and roll a yard or two down into the track. :)

Gemini's station is being re-done this winter. The platform will be leveled out, new computer systems, air gates, etc. However, Gemini will no longer be running 6 trains after this year. Gemini was supposed to get this system last year but Corkscrew received the system instead. Expect the photo-eyes to be replaced with proximities so the ride can actually run in rain.

------------------
Formerly the imbecile known as ddogg
----
2003 Super Screw Crew

WAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Don't let them do that to Gemini!!

Install the @#$! gates if necessary. Perhaps even flatten out the station, although it would kill the sight lines. Even install a computer...but do it right, for crying out loud, and let it bring the trains into the station properly...and most important LET IT RUN SIX TRAINS.

They've screwed up the station braking on Mine Ride beyond belief (NO coaster should EVER enter the station THAT SLOWLY!); they completely blew it with the co-dispatch signalling on Magnum...they've had enough practice screwing up the other coasters in the park, when they do Gemini I want to see them get it right for a change. It's very do-able, and if they do it right the only thing most people will notice are platform gates. But if they do it wrong, it will be a terrible mess. There are days when Gemini still needs to be able to move 3,000 PPH. Unless they're planning to build another massive people-muncher for next year, they need to keep their one capacity monster a capacity monster.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

That has got to be the most verbal response from Dave I have ever seen. The park should heed the man's warning!

------------------
...and the most anticipated event of summer 2003 is...

The Matrix: Reloaded!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service