Luminosity 2015

Did anyone else catch this last night? This show was phenomenal and blew my expectations. I really liked the songs in the show and they blended them all together nicely. What I thought was really cool was how they had performers up on the wires floating in the air or sliding across the midway. I hadn't seen the show since 2013, and I thought this years was great. I didn't see it last year, because I usually leave the park before it starts. Great job by the live entertainment department on this show.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Last night you stayed past your bedtime? Glad you like the show.

I've seen it every year, and this year is easily the best so far. It's not even close. They've gone from something that was just entertainment to something that has some value as art. Really creative and stocked with talented people. They should be very proud of themselves, especially for having it produced mostly by internal Cedar Fair people.

And by the way, live entertainment in a more global sense around the park is back in a big way. What a difference a few years makes.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I've seen the show the past two nights, and will end up seeing or hearing it every night for the rest of the summer, and I'll say it's a great show so far, I can't wait to see how it progresses through the season

You should understudy.
When I worked at Cedar Point we had a lot of friends in the shows and we would attend often. We'd go to the Centennial, Golden Palace, the pre-shows at the IMAX, and the Bluegrass Amphitheater in Frontier Town. (anybody remember that one? It was around where Snake River Falls and Skyhawk are now and it probably goes without saying it was a country and western show) It got to where we knew every line to every song and every dance move and we'd sit out there and sing along. Our pals onstage and backstage were always glad to see us.

I have yet to see a single Luminosity show. I'm usually there too early in the season or too late. I'm going to make it a point to see it this year, though. I suppose it's good to show up early for a good spot, right?

This year's show is great and easily the most ambitious production I have ever seen from Live E. The aerial work, which was a neat addition last year, really has become an integral part of the show. Major props to those having to hit such precise choreography while flipping around and hanging upside-down. Also, and this is the case for almost all of the shows in the park this year, the performers are extremely solid. They have put together a great cast this year.

As a long time fan of Cedar Point Live E it is pretty darn cool to see them really open up and dream BIG. Luminosity 2015 is the kind of the show I never would have imagined seeing at the park even five years ago.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

I went to CP last night just to check out Luminosity, and I was NOT disappointed AT ALL. I was rather surprised at how CP stepped it up this year!! I didn't really know a LOT of the songs from the first half of the show, but it didn't matter. The choreography this year is STELLAR and they knocked it out of the park! AND THE VOCALS!! WOW. I can actually hear the singers this year! That was a pleasant surprise too. The overall mix of the vocalists and backing tracks was very good. I wish they would give the guitar player and Sax player a little more gain instead of having them buried in the mix, but I was still happy with the show. And the visuals were just plain AWESOME. The new LED screens looked GORGEOUS. And of course, the aerial show was awesome too. ONLY complaint I have is that CP didn't do very much fireworks at the end of the show at all, as In past Luminosity shows they had a whole segment at the end with fireworks..maybe it was too windy last night? I don't know but maybe CP is cutting back in this area as well?????

All I can aay is WOW The show is fantastic, Cedar Point should be proud of the production

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I saw it the first year and thought it was entertaining. Saw it last year and found it to be extremely corny as did the 3 people I was with. The whole showing us what we had just done that day was pointless. The Millennium Force bit made me want to leave, but I was busy talking to my friends, so I suffered through until it was over. PLEASE tell me it was nothing like last year.

Last edited by Zoug68,

Mark my word, this is a trend that I think will continue to rise over the next few years. They're building a reputation for talent, and I think it's reasonable to expect that more talented people will want to work there. I can see that starting to happen in a lot of areas, and hopefully the winning attitude will help in recruiting for foods and operations as well.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Very glad to read these comments about this years show. I wont be able to see it until next week but am looking forward to it for sure.

This year was a lot better than last year, but still not as awesome as the 2013 show IMO. I look forward seeing the show more this year though, it is always a great way to end the night... Hoping to stop back Wednesday to get some photos.

Last edited by Invertalon,

Saw the show over the weekend twice and I agree that it's the best one so far. Pretty cool stuff when they project the images on the "skirt" of someone that has flown in like an angel from the back! That carousel that they introduced last year is still cool to me too. They also replaced the screens on each side with a different, and more anchored, material that should survive wind better.

I like how it's a bit more about Cedar Point this year (Best Day Ever, Celebrate, Gironimo, Dangerous, etc) than some random theme pulled from someone's rear end. The costumes look better as well - not as much like Peanuts characters - more edgy although maybe not quite as much so as year 1. Also, there doesn't seem to be a big lull in the middle like there was the first two years (I think the sort of did away with that last year).

Also, regarding the fireworks, some tricks in the Friday and Saturday shows were probably held back because of the winds. Heard last night's show was cut short due to approaching weather, but I wasn't there.

Hope you're right Jeff about the attitude of live e transferring to other departments. From what I've seen this year, it's sort of a mixed bag. I've seen some really great and new things done (Cavs game on the beach, great new bar (now open 'til midnight I think) and firepits at Breakers, etc). I've also seen some things that I don't like such as really mindboggling changes to procedures on rides, Soak City preparedness/cleanliness issues, a few construction quality issues in Breakers, and slow/unprepared maintenance response to fix these issues.

-Matt

Did they have the Cavs game on the beach yesterday? I thought I heard they were going to do that, but we didn't see anything set up so we watched the game at TGIFriday's at Breakers.

Agreed about Soak City, whoever is in charge this year really dropped the ball, at least at Bubbles. One of the best things about Soak City was always the cleanliness of the pools. The bottom of Bubbles pool is disgustingly filthy and if they don't clean it they have lost much of my business this summer.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

They did have to end the show a couple minutes early due to weather on Sunday night but agreed...Fantastic production and the talent is a notch above what I normally see at most theme park shows. Nice use of pyro here and there. My only criticism would be that whatever attempts they are making to use a laser from behind gets washed out in the lighting.

Pete said:

Did they have the Cavs game on the beach yesterday?

They did on Thursday. I was not there last night, so I am not sure. Maybe not due to the weather? I suspect if they did have it, it would have been obvious to you. They had a big screen and some chairs on the beach right by the firepits so it was visible to anyone right there.

Last edited by MDOmnis,

-Matt

I watched Luminosity on Saturday and have to disagree with most of you, I wasn't really that impressed. But then I'm comparing it to the Skeleton crew show which I've seen many times each season, which I understand is a different type of show, but one that I find much more entertaining. Luminosity was just a bunch of people running around stage to music. Just my opinion, and I've only ever seen it 2-3x as we are usually not there during that part of the season.

OTOH, All-Wheels Extreme was AWESOME!! They made a great show much better, unbelievable skill level and I'd need to see it a few times just to catch everything, as there's so much going on at once. Just spectacular!

I was hoping to see AWE yesterday, but unfortunately it started to rain right before the 7PM performance which cancelled the show. I saw Lusty Lil's yesterday and thought it was just OK. I left before Luminosity started last night so I didn't watch it again. I would stay around for it more, but it's a 2 hour drive home and I don't like getting home really late.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

I have a pretty large set of photos from the show Friday night if anyone is interested (along with Breakers and a few ride shots, but mainly Luminosity).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invertalon/sets/72157654516658072

Saw the 2015 Saturday night perfomance and can say I came away thoroughly impressed. I will agree it was a much better production than last years version especially with the added aerial acts. However....there was something to me about the original 2012 version (maybe because of the voices of the original 2 lead girls ( one was the lead at Lusty Lil's last year and the other girl kind of reminded me of Adele, haha.) that is still embedded in my memory. I'm sure some remember them? Their voices were spectacular. If they could of combined these 2 years shows together, it would be perfect, just my biased opinion I guess.

I will say that the overall dance choreography (sp?) was the best so far in the 4 years of the production and the song selection of old and new kept the crowd energized. I loved the added touch of past CP history (both on the side screens and the performers dress!, btw. I recommend this show as a great close to your day for everyone. The park should be proud of this Live E effort this year....

Last edited by CPfan1976,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service