Internet Wooden Tracked Rollercoaster Poll - 1999

For those of you who are interested, Mitch Hawker has posted the results of the stated poll.

Results of Cedar Point's rankings:

Blue Streak - #51
Mean Streak - #135

(too bad they didn't have more chiropractors vote for this poll, otherwise, Mean Streak would be further towards the top!!)

You can see the complete results here:

http://www.hitchhikers.net/wcoaster/wcprs99.txt

-------------
Neil
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-1

So how does Idora's Wildcat make #11? I mean, I hesitate to even call it standing but not operating, seeing as how half of it burned down. I don't even know that many people who have actually been on it, and that's out of people I know from Youngstown!

-------------
Jeff
Webmaster/Guide to The Point
The interesting thing about that poll is what happened to the Blue Streak:

Blue Streak - Cedar Point:
1999: #51
1998: #51
1997: #42
1996: #29
1995: #11
1994: #11

Now, kiddies, who can tell me what happened to Blue Streak in time for the 1996 season...

Note that because of the openings of awesome new coasters, for a ride to maintain a consistent ranking, particularly a consistent *high* ranking, usually means that it has actually been ranked *higher*...that is, a consistent performance should be expected to drop a notch or two each year so long as CCI keeps building new top-performing coasters. But notice how Blue Streak went from being considered an outstanding coaster to being recognized for what it really is: a mediocre coaster.

Unfortunately, we know that Cedar Point is unlikely to make the changes that would catapult Blue Streak back into the Top 20 anytime soon... :(

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Who ares what those people rate the rollercoasters as anyway.
I think the wider difference in the poll has been the fact that more people have voted since 1996. The 1994-1996 polls were fairly small, and as well, largely predated CCI. You'll notice that Mean Streak has plummeted inspite of being decently consistent in the last few years. At witness the freefall of The Beast.
the mean streak is #135. that is inexcusable! wasn't this ride the tallest and fastest in the world a few years ago? how could it be ranked so low? easy,trim brakes on the first hill. lose them and see if its ranking goes up any.
I think, based on which coasters won, the combo of no airtime and blender-like smoothness (rough[bad] as opposed to violent[good]) work against it in big ways. That, the awful squeal, and the trim on the first drop, yes.
Removing the trims will make the ride even more rough, more dangerous, and require more maintenance.

Maybe it's again time for one of Dave's articulating train rants. ;)

-------------
Jeff
Webmaster/Guide to The Point
Could be.
Interesting note, here, looking at the final poll.
Mean Streak tied Wolverine Wildcat 27-27-6 and *lost* to Zach's Zoomer 28-27-5.

Zach's Zoomer was one of CCI's first coasters. It is a junior coaster. =)

(Note - WW was built by the same team as MS)
Wasn't 1996 the year they added the headrests and the orange lap bars? If so, that would explain the drop in the ratings.

Go Dave, Go Dave!!
-------------
Likes her coasters like her men, fast and furious!
Pete is, of course, correct. Cedar Point did nothing to the Blue Streak, and in an extremely methodical poll, the coaster was ranked at a respectable #11. Since the Raven joined the poll in 1995 at #2, for the Blue Streak to maintain its #11 ranking means it actually did better in 1995 than it did in 1994, though it was ranked the same.

In 1996, Cedar Point butchered Blue Streak's trains and installed a computer. Blue Streak went from 'fun' to 'painful' in a single season, a change which was immediately reflected in the poll ranking with the ride's fall from #11 to #29. As more poll participants rode the "new and improved" Blue Streak, the rating went into a sudden free-fall. It recovered slightly by remaining at #51, but only very slightly.

The moral of the story? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Amen..I wish I got in on this sooner because 96 was the year CP ripped my heart out. To give you the idea how I felt...Picture Dan going to Magnum and seeing shoulder restraints! Sad,sad,day.
------------
Puff'n the Winston..Drink'n a 4-O..Toofast and I'm gona let ya know. *** This post was edit by ToofastGM3 on 12/6/99. ***
I've screamed about this subject before so I was going to pass this time, but given the insightful, intelligent and highly acurate comments of RideMan and ToofastGM3 I just had to add mine. AMEN!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service