Gatekeeper restraints 2014

Bringing back an issue from last year, how are the restraints this year? Tight? Lowering it down to one question; Is there any change to the restraints this year?

They're the same as they were on closing day of last year (presumably). The vests are tensioned, but they don't lock.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

They are pretty tight but it shouldn't bother you at all while you're riding. It's only annoying when you're waiting for them to send you off or when the ride is over.

The restraints, while still tight, will allow you to lean forward if you put enough effort into it.

The restraints are still tight, but no where near as bad as they were when they would lock as you left the station.

Is the painful brain shake from lateral vibration the same this year?

I sat in the back left most seat last weekend, and found it to be a comfortable ride. I never found it uncomfortable in the first place.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Thanks! That is good to know where to sit. I want to love the ride, but found it painfully challenging last year.

I sat in the back several times during CoasterMania and they were the roughest rides I've ever had on Gatekeeper. The front is still as smooth as butter.

I am always trying to figure out exactly where the weird (metal clanking) noises are coming from on the train as it goes through the course. Not sure if it is the wheel covers or what. I've never been on another Wing coaster to know if they all have the same noise, but it (in varying intensities depending on the seat) has been there since day one on GK.

I like the vest restraints much better since they made them not lock. They never really bothered me until near the end of the ride or until you had to wait on the brake run.

-Matt

A lot of B&M rides seem to do that, but not to the extent of Gatekeeper. I always figured it was the anti-rollbacks getting bounced up and smacking against the undercarriage, but Gatekeeper's sure does sound like a rattling wheel cover or something. I really can't place it, but I don't remember X-Flight making that noise. It's relatively quiet.

That was my first thought too, but it seems too constant to be the anti-rollbacks.

-Matt

I thought it was the anti rollbacks also, but i noticed that the noise was coming from the wheel covers on my last visit.

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

You can't make any generalizations about where you may get a rough ride. There are three trains and I'm sure wheels are replaced on a frequent basis. It is possible, and even likely, that any two rides you take will not be the same.

If the metal clanking noises you are talking about is during the inversion that is outside the keyhole on the way back, I believe the noise is coming from the anti-rollbacks. There is a lot of hang time during that inversion and that causes the anti-rollbacks to move.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I think we're thinking of the constant chattering noise that the train seems to make, especially in the turnaround inversion. It's different from the "clank" of the anti rollbacks.

I thought they were changing all of the restraints on Gatekeeper after last year? When I rode it with my niece last year we were in pain the whole ride and it was even worse waiting to get back to the station. It sounds like things havent changed too much. i am hoping to go to the park next week

They did change the restraints. The vest now does not lock, rather it allows movement while still applying enough force to keep you back in your seat. Much more comfortable than the original configuration last year.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Rode Wild Eagle at Dollywood last week. They still have the locking vests. I hate those things. By the end of the ride it is very unconfortable. Glad Gatekeeper got the improved vests. Wonder why Dollywood did not change theirs.

So I have ridden GK twice this year and does anyone else find the restraints insanely tight on your shoulders?? Doesn't make for the best ride experience. Maybe I am too tall lol

Last edited by CPboy77,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service