Dodgems 2017?

During the end of last week I was driving down Columbus Ave and was directly behind a flatbed truck which appeared to be hauling all or most of cedar point's dodgems. I followed and snapped a couple of photos but lost them on route 4 right before the Rt2 overpass. Couldn't tell which way they were headed. Anyone know if the dodgems are expected back for 2017?
Edit: On second thought, they aren't dodgems...

Last edited by cptedsdisciple2,

"Forgiveness is almost always easier to obtain than permission."

Since they just relocated them, I doubt they are being removed. Maybe they were hauling the old cars away since they got new ones this season?

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

[URL][IMG][URL][URL][IMG][/URL]

[/URL]

Last edited by cptedsdisciple2,

Oooh Cadillac cars?

I believe those are the old dodgems.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

They are the old Dodgems! The new ones are Ninja bumber cars!!

RollerCoasters and Rock Concerts! Life in the fast Lane!!

Yep, those are the old ones which were originally in the Dodgems II back where Dragster is now before they put them in the Dodgems in the front of the park. I wish those had been refurbished instead of replaced I really don't care for the new ones. They don't go fast enough and my kids used to ride the old ones backwards and haven't been able to get these to move backwards.

If there was room, I'd say put one in the Town Hall museum. It'd be a perfect addition.

Nice pics and observation. Those are definitely the old ones though so no worries

^^^ Paisley, spot on comments about the performance of the cars. One good thing about the new cars is a speedier loading time due to no belts. The new ninja cars do not pack the same punch that the old ones did. Dodgems is now a ride that we skip on our way from Gatekeeper to Wicked Twister. Maybe ride it early entry if WT isn't ready to open at 10:00. With the older cars there was sometimes a very long line, this year it seemed that ridership was a bit sparse. At Early Entry there was hardly anyone there.

It was always more fun to be in line with a group of rowdy millenials who enjoyed a collision or two or three while Crazy On You was playing.

I was unable to make it to the park this past season, what's this I hear that you can't drive them backwards? As the self-proclaimed Greatest Dodgem Driver in the World this is horrible news as driving backwards is a necessary skill to be an advanced dodgem driver.

I always enjoyed going down to the empty half of the ride "shifting" into reverse and going most of the length of the ride with a nice head of steam and nailing some unsuspecting victim! I take special glee when my collision causes the victim's car to lift off the ground.

I miss making the other cars lift up. You could be brutal with those old cars. I would soften the blow for people I didn't know but for my husband and my own teen kids we were at war as soon as we sat in those things and occasionally sported bruises the day after. Total carnage during "Ballroom Blitz" was the best. Good times...

But now companies are afraid of getting sued by some soccer mom who thinks their children are too fragile for the real world.

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

Well, it is good to know that the dodgems are remaining in some form!

I don't know if anyone knows this or not, but Dorney Park is supposed to be getting Dodgems next year. Maybe those old dodgem cars are part of that. Wouldn't that be something? It would be the second thing that Cedar Point has given to Dorney Park.

Third thing to go from CP to Dorney. They also got the old Frontier Carousel.

Dan Fielding said:

I was unable to make it to the park this past season, what's this I hear that you can't drive them backwards?

In the new Ninja cars, the front drive wheel underneath the car doesn't make a full 360º revolution; instead, it stops at about 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock, so while you can't drive the car a truly straight 180º backwards, you can at least back away from somebody else if you get stuck. It's kind of a backwards turning motion--keep that drive wheel at 5 o'clock, and you'd make a very large circle to your right while moving backwards at the same time, if that makes sense. I think it's actually really helpful because you can always figure out the drive wheel's position by simply rotating the steering wheel all the way in one direction until it stops, preventing the age-old bumper car problems of losing the direction of the car, getting trapped in a pack of other drivers, and ending up going in endless circles until the ride is over. Of course, Jerry Seinfeld has a routine on these issues, so I thought I should share it. Hope my explanation clears things up for you.

Seinfeld

Shawn Meyer said:

I don't know if anyone knows this or not, but Dorney Park is supposed to be getting Dodgems next year. Maybe those old dodgem cars are part of that. Wouldn't that be something? It would be the second thing that Cedar Point has given to Dorney Park.

I'm guessing they were becoming a maintenance issue because lots of times last season the old cars were there I had a lot of bum rides in cars that weren't working properly. If they were rebuilding them I would think they would have just kept them here but you never know. If Dorney did somehow get CP's old cars they would be lucky because they were 10x better than the new ones we got.

The new Ninjas are really slick looking. It's just too bad they don't have the same oomph. I had a feeling something was lacking when I drove them last year, but I thought it was just me. 8C

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

I was finally able to take a ride on the "new" Dodgems last week. They, in a word, suck, awful, terrible, slow, waste of time, boring, etc. When my kids were little their Power Wheels went faster than these things! Guess I won't be riding these again.

As a result, I hereby vacate the title of self proclaimed "Greatest Dodgems Driver in the World" Anyone else that wants to claim that title feel free to take it.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service