Cedar Point Ride Madness 2024

Cast your votes here

With the final bracket set and the seeds revealed, it's time to gear up for an epic showdown among the park's 32 top rides, spread across four distinctive regions. Let's dive into the matchups, seeds, and potential upsets that could shape this thrilling tournament.

Frontier Town Region
In this region, we have Steel Vengeance, the reigning titan of coasters, holding the top seed, poised to make a deep run. Watch out for the 4th seed Power Tower versus the 5th seed Sky Ride clash – a battle between the skies that could go either way.

Midway Region
The Midway Region boasts a high-flying battle between the 1st seed Top Thrill 2 and the 8th seed Calypso. Top Thrill's sheer speed makes it a formidable contender, but nostalgia for Calypso could sway votes. Just kidding. Calypso doesn’t have a chance. Also, the GateKeeper versus Snake River Falls matchup is one to watch, pitting aerial grace against watery mayhem.

Beach Region
Millennium Force, a perennial favorite, takes the top spot and looks to dominate against Wilderness Run. However, don't overlook the 4th seed maXair and the 5th seed Iron Dragon.

Boardwalk Region
Maverick leads the charge in the Boardwalk Region, bringing intense twists and turns to the forefront. The nostalgic Blue Streak against the modern Pipe Scream presents a generational battle that could lead to an unexpected outcome.

Matchup to Watch
In the Beach Region, the #3 seed CP&LE Railroad faces off against the #6 seed Mine Ride. The CP&LE Railroad, a cornerstone of Cedar Point's charm, combines scenic beauty with a rich history, offering a serene journey through the park's landscape. Advocates argue that its iconic status and contribution to the park's heritage deserved a higher, perhaps #2 seed, emphasizing its role in providing guests with a tranquil, nostalgic experience unlike any other ride in the park.

In contrast, the Mine Ride, while a nod to the park's past, is seen as slow and old, with a smaller fan base compared to other attractions. Its inclusion in the tournament surprises some, as it lacks the excitement and modern features of higher-seeded rides. Yet, its presence underscores the diversity of Cedar Point's offerings, catering to those who appreciate the park's history over high-speed thrills.

This matchup puts the tranquil, picturesque journey of the iconic CP&LE Railroad against the slower, less celebrated Mine Ride, underscoring a stark contrast between serene, historic travel and a more dated thrill experience. Mine Ride is playing with a chip on its shoulder. Fans must decide whether the historic significance and serene experience of the railroad outweigh the nostalgic value of the slower roller coaster.

It's Up to You
Voting begins today and each vote counts. Will the titans of the track prevail, or will we witness the rise of the underdogs? Stay tuned, participate, and help decide the fate of your favorite rides in Cedar Point Ride Madness 2024!

Last edited by Walt,

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Out of all the rides mentioned in this write-up chock full of adjectives, all I can say is; Jeez, poor Cedar Creek Mine Ride! It was less than flattering description for sure.

I totally wrote that. I certainly did not have ChatGPT write it for me.

It was a real nice piece you wrote, and the Mine Ride descriptions were actually very accurate. It does hold a special place in the CP lineup. That first hill drop is great!

I will defend the merits of having a boat ride of any fashion, even in the most recent iteration of SRE, long before I defend the merits of CCMR. Good riddance to that thing whenever its time comes.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

I just cast my votes. I found the most difficult decision was Raptor vs. Cedar Downs. "Sarava has come on strong and War Emblem has given way!" I don't think the longshot Cedar Downs is going to pull the upset, but I do quite enjoy that unique ride.

Mine Ride brought one of my all time favorite Cedar Point pics: selfie of my daughter and me riding in the front seat with nothing but empty seats behind us and a ride op running to unlock the restraints. Summer before she went to college.

I just cast my semi-final votes. Most difficult was CPLE RR vs, Raptor. Two totally different experiences, two that should advance. I went old-school & chose CPLE RR. The other tough choice was SkyHawk vs. Top Thrill 2. Well, since I haven't ridden TT2 yet the choice was made for me, SkyHawk.

Mine Ride brought one of my all time favorite Cedar Point pics

And, one of my favorite CP evenings. We went to on the SV preview nights. Maverick and Mine Ride were also open (SV .... not so much ....). Our son hit 48" in the previous off-season. That night he loved Mine Ride because he didn't know any other coasters yet and because he got to ride a "big kid coaster". We rode it a zillion times. He yelled every time. It was fantastic.

So, yeah, it has a little sentimental place for me. But, I'd be happy for it to yield its real estate.

Round two voting is underway:

https://commoninja.site/cpr...adness2024

Back when I was a kid (5 decades ago), I remember Mine Ride as being the kiddie coaster. Cannot recall if the height requirement was lower back then or if you could ride under 48" with an adult? But first "big kid" coaster at that point was Blue Streak.

I can remember riding the Blue Streak the first time with my dad and my two older brothers. Brothers were worried I wasn't tall enough. They were coaching me on standing on my tip toes when the ride up was looking at top of the measuring stick and then flat footed again when the ride op looked down. My dad told me not to worry about it because if I wasn't tall enough, we would ride the rocket ride next to the Blue Streak waiting for my brothers.

There was a kid 40-50 people in front of me. He was 2-3 inches too short and they let him ride. So I figured I was good. Dad said I was legitimately tall enough at that point. I remember as we were about to board that the other kid's train came back into the station. He got out of the train, took three steps and hurled all over the platform. I felt like I was going to throw up seeing that but swallowed that feeling and have loved the Blue Streak ever since. Odd the things you remember.

The best part of Mine Ride is the helix at the end. Other than that, I could do without it but I understand it's place as a "starter" coaster. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

The ocd in me hates that mine ride makes almost all left turns.

First ride; Magnum 1994

All these years and I never noticed that. But I did always notice it on Geauga Lake's Double Loop.

It's the regional finals. Vote now!

The Boardwalk Region has the most difficult decision for me, Maverick vs. Magnum XL200. I'd like to call it a draw, but being forced to cast a vote I chose Magnum XL200. The deciding factorwas the long, tall lift hill that provides great water park views.

Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, or Top Thrill 2? Cedar Point Ride Madness 2024 - Final Four voting is underway!

Has a ride that has never been ridden ever won March Madness?

Promoter of fog.

How many rides that hadn't been ridden made it into Ride Madness?

Its been well established that you don't need to ride a ride to hate it (see the reaction to pretty much any ride announcement on coasterbuzz). So, maybe the same is true on the flip side?

I'll reveal my votes in this round (not that anyone cares). I went with an all-Frontier Town matchup in the Final as I chose Maverick and Steel Vengeance to advance. Millenium Force would have advanced against almost any other competitor, but Steel Vengeance is such an amazing coaster and wins due to it's length of ride. Maverick over Top Thrill 2 due to known thrills vs. who knows. Plus, there's no "stoppers" on the spike!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service