Cedar Point 1972

If anyone hasn't seen this already, there is a video on youtube of Cedar Point from 1972 which was recently uploaded. Great shots of the park back in the day, showing the Jumbo Jet! The old location of Wildcat, great midway shots, pov of Mine Ride... This video proves that Oceana, er I mean Wicked Twister midway would look so much better without DT and it's huge ugly building. The view of the beach and lake is beautiful at this spot, and a boardwalk put in it's place would be great. Why should only resort guests get a nice view? Not saying DT is a bad ride, but it's an eyesore and CP could even find a Jumbo Jet, spiffy it up and put it back in it's original location. The boardwalk could be built to accommodate some flats and a smaller coaster, with an early/mid 1900's seaside resort theme... Hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-eQKdeN2sQ

Geesh. The park looks like Central Park in that video. So many trees.

I really wish they'd bring back Jumbo Jet. Talk about an awesome family coaster. Plus, they could market the cr@p out of it by bringing back people's memories from growing up.

It's weird watching that seeing how close the lake is to the park compared to now.

Mine Ride- the one train isnt even all the way up the hill yet and the other is leaving the station. That had to be interesting to watch those Op's move loading and unloading those trains with 5 in operation.

When you visit CP, visit my Mill, est. 1835

The Jumbo Jet was an awesome ride - when it worked. The lift system was based on an electric drive rather than a chain, and it wasn't up to the task on many an occasion! But, the helix lift hill, view from the top, and steep banked curves made it fun to ride and watch.

By the way, when I worked at the park in the 70's, the Mine Ride crew was all women! And yes, they could keep that ride hopping!

The best part of this video - rare on-ride footage of Shoot the Rapids!!!!

Scott W. Short
- Proud member of the Out-Of-Town Coaster Weirdos

There's still a few Jumbo Jets around. They've got a very well maintained one at Lagoon in Salt Lake City. The capacity is way to low for Cedar Point anymore, though. And parts have got to be hard to come by.

To being an "us" for once - instead of a "them"

This video is AMAZING. Too bad there's no sound. :(

I don't see why someone like Mack couldn't make a "new" Jumbo Jet.

Wait? Jungle Larry's was not real animals? I wish I new more about the older Cedar Point.

And look at those bumper cars move! And they even have working headlights!

Jumbo Jet looked pretty awesome actually. It's hard for me to imagine my dad going there on their once a year trip to Cedar Point, and this video is from when he was the exact same age I am now. For instance, I had no idea those...things you stick your head and hands in on the Frontier Trail had been there so long. They still don't look worn out or anything.

Summer was made for a Cedar Point day~

a nice little slice of history. is the bit at the end from greenfield village?

i live at the saint pia zadora golden buckeye retirement community

^^ - JL's was real animals, with real animal shows.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Jungle Larry's was awesome, and I'm angry that I didn't take more advantage of it when it was around. I'd probably only seen 3 or 4 shows before it was 'concreted'.

Brandon

I don't know if I ever stopped for the shows unless I happened to be wandering through when one was going on, but I did always wander through there at least once every trip. And this was back when our trips were with school groups, so we were leaving by 8pm.

Of course, I can still go to the zoo and rattle off several hundred photos.

Goodbye MrScott

John

gilbert gnarley said:
a nice little slice of history. is the bit at the end from greenfield village?

Yes, that is Greenfield village at the end of the tape.

I recognized the clock tower they showed and the Wright Brothers bicycle shop.

Wiley

Ridin' till I'm Dyin'

Going to The Henry Ford (which includes Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum) is a fun trip. If you have never been there, I would highly recommend it - especially if you are within a few hours of Detroit.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I hate that name. But both places are awesome and worth (at least) a day EACH.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I've not been in over a decade. Has a lot changed?

Brandon

Not sure. Its been a few years since I've gone (one of the things I hate about being on the west-side). I'm sure there is plenty new for you though.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Now that's MY Cedar Point! That's the way it was when I worked there.

Have you even made it to Detroit for a Tigers game this year John?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service