Admission Prices for 2000

Someone had briefly touched on this subject previousely and I guess I am curious on how others feel about this. I do not feel that CPs admission price is beyond resonable. It is due to their admission prices they are able to built new stuff for us-keep the park clean-(and it is very very clean!) keep the grounds looking beautiful-
and hire a bunch of great people (underpaid-but still nice none the less)
Last year I was an idiot and didnt have a season pass for my daughter and I-although I got discount tiks thru work it still cost me a pretty penny every time (10x) we went. This year I got smart-season passes and parking pass so all I have to worry about it $$ for the hotel every trip.
I feel that in general CP doesnt make alot of $$ on people like us-the people who have their season passes and go umteen times-we know NOT to eat there-we have just about all the CP merchandise you can imagine and we go just to ride the rides and hang out at our fav place.
CP prob LOVES the "average" family of 4 that 1x a year they pack up the car and drive to CP and spend the entire day there-paying for parking-admission-tons of food and drinks-and can not go home without buying a t shirt and candle (?) for everyone in the family. This is where CP makes it profit...it isnt off us-there is no way.
I know long before I discovered CP and took kids to PKI every year I remember it would cost over $200.00 for one trip-but it was only 1 trip a year
so that was that.
I do not think that the hike in admission prices will detour any people to go to CP this year-I think that CP offers discount tiks to TONS of companies and hotels so if a person does pay full price for admission apparently they didnt look around enough or they didnt care. I think for the price of admission think about all you can do in one day and the FUN you always have!!
Where else can you spend that amount of $$ and have such a good time?????
Enough said. Opinions?
I know that part of the reason for the admission price hike is for a marketing tool. Different discounts will be available which tends to build attendance, as people feel they are getting a deal.

As far as season pass people not spending a lot of money, I'm not so sure that happens in all cases. I know I spent a ton of money for food last year, for me that is part of the fun. Eating park food is almost as much fun as riding. My season pass holding friends seemed to do the same thing. I actually think that since I don’t have to pay for admission, I tend to spend more on food, games, etc. inside the park than I would if I would have to buy a ticket each time. I spent a ton of money at Bubbles Bar also, but the drinks are strong. :)

Is Bubbles Bar the Soak City swim-up that you can access from the walk between Breakers and Sandcastle? I didn't realize it had a name.

On the subject, I once saw an article in Amusement Business (I think) that showed how few people that visit amusement parks pay the gate price. I don't remember the percentage but it was surprisingly low. I am sue that CP will offer even more vigorous discounting this year if the price hike, Six Flags Ohio, high gas prices or anything else cuts into attendance.
I'm not convinced that the high cost of admission is out of line. Even so, I have my complaints about it, because there are some cost related items at the Point that *are* way out of line...

o Parking. Parking should not be more than $5. If for no reason other than that it takes longer for me to get through the tollbooth when it costs $6 than when it costs $5 because of the prevalence of the U.S. $6 bill. And I have a parking pass! Why not work out the per-caps on parking and increase the admission accordingly?

o Group discount/standard discount. The discounts are getting out of hand. It was...what...$10 last season? Almost every person who comes through the gate is getting $8-$12 off of the posted admission price unless he has travelled a considerable distance to visit the park. A Coke drinker who comes from outside CP's marketing area essentially gets fperjrq because he didn't know that with very little effort he could save $10 off his admission. What ever happened to the $4 discount? It's all a marketing ploy...why not figure out what the per-caps are on admission and adjust the ticket price accordingly? $38 gate/$12 discount or $30 gate/$4 discount...bottom line it's the same thing.
And I already have my season pass.

o Beverage prices. $1.50 a bottle is well above the market price, but not unreasonable. $2 is far too much, and any more than that is simply outrageous. 'Course I imagine their beverage per-cap is probably on the order of $6-$10 anyway in spite of those of us who won't pay the high price, so I doubt we'll see any improvement on that front. I wonder how much they could make up in increased volume with a price cut, though...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

If you look at the company's 1999 results (I keep forgetting to add that to the news section), you'll see that guest spent and average (company-wide) of $38 in the park, per visit. I tend to spend between $10 and $15 every visit, mostly in food. Then there are the skeeball fits in the rain where I'll drop another $15, the T-shirts, the mugs, Breakers rooms, etc.

I'm fairly certain that even as a season pass holder, I spent around $1,000 on property-alone last year!

-------------
Jeff
Webmaster/Guide to The Point
CP is very reasonable...Disney is slowing approaching $50 for park entrance. However, Disney also doesn't charge $6 for parking. I just know the CP market researchers are seeing dollar signs because there is no way for a park guest to get around that one. If they ever really do move the parking lot or put in a monorail, I think our $6 parking has more than paid for it.
As for $2.00 for water or pop, that's true of ALL amusement parks, not just CP. I'm just waiting for that to hit $2.50 because we all know it's coming soon. I still think being an accountant for CP would be a nightmare? How on earth is building a $20 million dollar coaster every other year PROFITABLE?! I love it...but it's so hard to comprehend.
"I wonder how much they could make up in increased volume with a price cut, though..."

I've often wondered that myself. But then again, increased volume means more warehousing, more people handling more product, etc. Why increase volume for the same return when you can do it with the price component? Amusement parks are a fantastic example of charging what the market will bear. There will always be those who drag a cooler on a wagon and spend as little as possible at the stands. There will also always be those who go with the clothes on their back and a pocket full of cash. And, in an unabashedly capitalistic admission, I kind of like spending my way across Cedar Point and back. It's sort of fun to know that absolutely everything a person could legally desire for a day of leisure is obtainable in one convenient penninsula.

Tim Bretz
"Remember to Pillage before you Burn"
Jeff, does that $38 per-cap include admission (seems too low for that even though admission would only be about $20 on a per-cap basis...) or is that exclusive of admission?

Let me see...
Parking: $ 2.00 (assuming avg. 3 peeps/car)
Lunch: $ 8.00 (includes drink)
Dinner: $ 8.00 (includes drink)
Drinks: $ 4.00 (while waiting in line or with a snack)
Snacks: $ 3.00 (pretzel, custard, etc.)
Gifts: $12.00 (T-shirt is about $25, but not everyone buys)
-----
$37.00
Admission $20.00 (accounts for discount, twilight, senior, junior, etc.)
-----
$57.00 total per visitor
$57.00 * 3,500,000 = $199,500,000.00 gross receipts from park

How many millions of dollars were they spending on the coaster this year? I know the operating expenses for the park (paid for by the takings estimated above) are easily under $100,000,000.00, and nothing here considers the income from the marina, hotels, restaurants, campground, waterpark, causeway, ferry..........

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
(who, ever the capitalist, believes Cedar Fair is, in fact, entitled to make that much money, make no mistake!)
Ok am I the only person here who takes her OWN food and drinks into the park? I try DESPERITELY not to buy ANY beverages in the park-(those stupid Pepsi and water vending machines inside Raptors queue line has RIPPED me off MORE than 1x in the past 3 years!!) HATE that! I find that saves me alot of $$-of course then we have the new Raptor t-shirts they just have to come out with every year...have to have one of them...
Raptor keychains...Raptor shot glasses...Raptor mugs......
got them all but am SURE there will be a new one for me to add to my collection this year!!!
And I would HAVE to agree with who ever said that the pop/drink prices were compatable with ANY amusement park-
the ONLY amusement park I have gone to that the food and drink prices were WONDERFUL was Kennywood. When I looked on the price board I about fell over! But--Kennywood is NO CP--
fun--but NO CP!!

-------------
Welcome back Raptor riders-how was your flight??
The $38 was in-park spending, if I remember correctly (that stuff is a boring read).

It's easy to second guess food and beverage prices as a season pass holder, but not as a once-per-year guest. Compare to other tourist attractions... A 20 oz. soda at Jacobs Field is something around $3, and places like the Rock Hall and Science Center in Cleveland will go for about the same. It's just what they can charge in these types of environments.

And frankly, it's two bucks! I'm not going to miss it!

-------------
Jeff
Webmaster/Guide to The Point
*** This post was edited by Jeff on 2/8/00. ***
Heheh---Tim, you are right on my man.
GO TO CEDAR POINT AND SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU CAN!!!
I must admit that my friends and I are very free with the cash when out on the peninsula. (yes we have season passes.)It's part of the fun and part of the experience. Don't forget to leave a very large tip for all of the nice waiters and waitresses too--I mean like 50 percent! Happy spending CP supporters!
I really don't spend a whole lot at CP. I've gone and spent like 15 bucks the whole day (not including admission, obviously). I guess because I go every year, I really don't need souverniors(sp) so I only buy food. The key is to drink courtesy water instead of pop. Trust me, after waiting in a 2 hr line. A nice FREE cup of ice water is just as satisfying, if not more, than a 3 dollar cup of pepsi. If you bother the people at the concession stands enough about refills, they may even give you a large cup of water. Sweet :D
CP food seems like a deal compared to Jacobs Field. From what I remember last year, a deluxe burger, fries and a drink came to around $12 at Jacobs Field. Even with that, I've never seen the concession stands at the ballpark with a lack of business.

And yes, I tend to spend very freely at the park also. Hey, why not, I'm just out to have a good time at the park. It's money better spent than if I would go to the local bar, horse track, strip club, etc., etc...
Tim says:
"And, in an unabashedly capitalistic admission, I kind of like spending my way across Cedar Point and back. It's sort of fun to know that absolutely everything a person could legally desire for a day of leisure is obtainable in one convenient penninsula."

One of the best lines I've heard! I nominate this as a new CP Place Qoute of the Moment!

Six Flags parks have OUTRAGEOUS prices...$8.00 to park at SFGAm this year. $5.00 for a large drink. $6.00 for a burger. almost $40.00 to get into Fright Fest and it really wasn't that great this year(no dead Elvis impersonators this year). so when i go to SFGAm, i can easily spend close to 100 bucks if i eat twice(which i don't do anymore). my WHOLE, 4 day, 3 night CP vacation every year costs me LESS than $800 for two of us($400 per person), counting gas, food, lodging, tolls, etc...so which is the better value? in my mind, CP is. just because SFGAm is closer, that does not make it a good value(stopped doing season passes for it after we discovered CP)...
PLUS, we bring our own breakfast/lunch foods and just eat dinner out and maybe a light snack. the discounts in the packages really take a big chunk out of your food bill if you remember to use them, too....
and don't even get me started on the prices at Comiskey Park here in Chi-town...
-------------
"I think I scrambled my brain!!" *** This post was edited by servo on 2/9/00. ***

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service