2016 CP ride/attraction anniversary dates...

Every off-season when I'm usually bored watching the web-cams, I put together this little list just to make everyone feel a little bit older ;) Here are some milestone anniversaries happening this year at the Point....

Ponder these:

(5th) Windseeker

(10th) Skyhawk (that decade flew by!)

(15th) Lighthouse Point cabins (the original ones by the lake due west of Mean Streak)

(20th) Mantis/Rougarou (the track originally opened back in 1996 although will probably be recognized

as 2015 but....

Ripcord (yes, that one in challenge park also debuted 20 years ago, wow!

*(25th) The silver anniversary this year for everyone's favorite........Mean Streak.

(30th) Thunder Canyon

(35th) Ocean Motion (Gosh, this one really makes me feel old!)

*(40th) Corkscrew.....man has it been that long? *(I personally remember the lines for this one!)

(45th) Frontier Trail.....I know some on here remember this opening

(50th) The Live Entertainment Department (all those great shows put on by the college kids!)

Hope you enjoyed this and feeling just a little bit older. What's the earliest debut on this list that you remember?

Crazy to think I'm only a few months older than the ride I'll be working this summer, Ripcord

2015 - Ride Host: Shoot the Rapids 2016 - Team Leader: Ripcord/Challenge Golf 2017 - Supervisor: Thunder Canyon 2018 - Supervisor: Camp Snoopy 2019 - Supervisor: Power Tower

Good list, thanks for the effort to put it together.

There's not one thing on that list I'm not older than.

Ye gods, I'm old.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Ocean Motion still swinging after 35 years

TTD officially becomes a teenager this year... ;-)

I'm as old as Thunder Canyon.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Ocean Motion opened the year I was born.

Ripcord is 20 years old? For the life of me I thought it was just added like 5 years ago...

Last edited by CoasterGuy15,

Wow. This is pretty awesome. I guess when you have so many great rides that don't need to be torn down, this is bound to happen, right? Thanks for putting it together!

I live in the Cincinnati area and still haven't ridden "Banshee" yet...
(Don't hurt me!)

I remember both the Frontier Trail opening and )ong lines for Corkscrew. A corkscrew and a vertical loop! It was a big deal.

It was. Cedar Point's Corkscrew was the first coaster in the world to combine those elements.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Don't forget 70 years for the Midway Carousel (1946) As far as rides, it doesn't get any older than that!

-Tyler A-

Corkscrew also was the 1st Arrow coaster with a vertical loop. The only coaster with a vertical loop to open before it is Revolution at Magic Mountain. (I think Revolution opened only like a week or so before Corkscrew)

noggin said:

There's not one thing on that list I'm not older than.

Ye gods, I'm old.

I bet you're older than Windseeker.

The Midway Carousel moved to CP in 1946, but it opened in 1912--103 years ago, so we're all younger than that :)

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

Where did Midway Carousel originally come from?

Last edited by Purplehaze,

I believe this is right; "The Midway Carousel, which was created by Daniel and Alfred Muller, features 60 jumping horses, four chariots and a Wurlitzer 153-band organ. The duo, who carved carousels from 1903-1917, built the ride in 1912 for John J. Hurley, who operated it as Hurley’s Hurdlers in Revere Beach, Mass."

CP&LE RR Supervisor/Engineer 04-18

^^^ I think you might want to re-read his post...

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

I'm wondering if the park will have any banners and/or celebrations for Corkscrew or Mean Streak (40th & 25th) this year like they did a few years back for Blue Streak and the CP/LE RR's 50th? Maybe they only reserve it for that milestone. A nice patch or commemorative shirt in the gift shops might be nice. We shall see...

When I was born, Ocean Motion was only a year old, and Thunder Canyon was new when I was five. Holy smokes.

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service