2001 Rumor

One rumor I heard floating around about next year is that they will take out the Dodgem II and send it to another Cedar Fair park and in its place and the place of the IMAX theater put in some sort of simulator or add some sort of moving floor movie for the IMAX theater done by Intamin.

-------------
daniel j. haverlock
'99 Magnum Count: 801
spiritofthepoint.com
I sure hope this stays a rumor!

-------------
Cedar Point Virtual Midway
http://www.schmidty.com/cpvirtual
ditto...I like the Dodgems
i dont want to get rid of the dodgems but i do think cedar point needs some type of simulator or 4-d movie. They also need a dark ride!!! bring back the pirates!
I hope they don't take out Dodgem II, the cars are much better performing than the Dodgem I cars. I can take or leave simulators, but I do like the IMAX movies. That is, as long as it's a good movie. The movies shown in the last couple of years have been terrible. They used to show great stuff, like "To Fly". There are some really good Imax movies out there, as demonstrated by the Omnimax theater in Cleveland. CP needs to get a good movie for next year.
One word...WHY?
Is this another product of the Lemon Chill guy or your buddy who told you all about the floorless being a sure thing, Dan? ;)

You don't replace an IMAX sound system if you know you're going to nuke it a few years later.

-------------
Jeff
Webmaster/Guide to The Point
Millennium Force laps: 35
Perhaps not. But perhaps you *do* replace the IMAX sound system if you know you are planning to upgrade the projection system in just a few years. It's just a thought...but that's one of the biggest IMAX theaters around. And IMAX has some really impressive 3D technology now...

Does anybody know whether CP owns the projector or if it is leased from IMAX?

Am I the only person who noticed that this year's IMAX offering (basically an Iwerks ridefilm demo reel) is *not* an IMAX film, but an !werks Supreme Screen film?

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
I remember a few years ago seeing a listing of all the IMAX theatres in the country with screen heights and widths. A couple of minutes with a calculator confirmed that it may not be the tallest or widest, but CP's screen is the largest in area.

I had not noticed that it was an !werks Supreme Screen film, but I'm not surprised.

-------------
Cedar Point Virtual Midway
http://www.schmidty.com/cpvirtual
I really dont think they should take out a thing!That park is the most beautiful park I have ever been to.I felt so comfortable there like I was home.Everyone is so nice and friendly and even the guests are pleasant to converse with.

-------------
Gillian
Does the IMAX theater draw that big of a crowd?? I have done it once in the 12 years I have been going to CP and all it did for me was give me a headache! No thanks! They either need to put in some flat rides and add the boardwalk or build a new coaster (Or both! I know, probebly not going to happen.) I wonder when CP will announce its 2001 plans. I e-mailed them asking this and they did not respond. I believe Kennywood is announcing theirs on 8-6-00. If the rumor mill is correct it looks like MF and Steel Dragon will be beat!
CP_Twister-There isn't a question, the Steel Phantom WILL beat MF and SD. There would be no point in just building a coaster that didn't beat a record, just tie or do less than a record. Esxpecially a park like Kennywood.

(Sorry for being off topic)

-------------
Visit my RCT CP site.
http://cedarpoint.8k.com
ddogg, I hope you are right!! I think that CP will probebly build their next big ride in 2002. Partly because they just added a huge ride and partly because Kennywood is adding their own major attraction and they are fairly close. CP will try to make the headlines again in 2002 IMO. It would be great if I was wrong though and they built a coaster next year!
I don't think Kennywood can afford a ride similar in scale to MF or SD. I think they will put in a great ride, but it won't be a record breaker. Kennywood has no need to break records anyway, Kennywood is a nice traditional park that has three classic woodies as it's main attraction.
I agree with Pete. I doubt Kennywood has that much money to throw around. MF cost $25 Million and SD coast around $50 million. If you are going to go higher/faster/longer, for Kennywood's location it would probably coast $40-50 million. Who knows, maybe Arrow has a "Tear one down, get next one half off" deal! :)

On Topic: I just hope that CP gets one of those 3d IMAX movies with the goggles. Those rock! It really feels like you are IN the movie! Also, wasn't it stated before that CP would only invest in "real" thrills, and would NOT get a simulator??
I don't think it would be as expensive as most people think to build a record breaker where Steel Phantom is. I'm not sure if they'll get the tallest coaster record, but the biggest drop is a real possibility. They have that ravine where the Steel Phantom's 2nd drop is now to go into. That'll save money on supports and all that jazz.

To wrap up, it wouldn't be as expensive as you'd think. Although it will still be a pretty penny.

(And going back to and old thread ["Intanim vs. Arrow" I believe], I've heard a lot of rumours that Arrow will be building the next coaster at Kennywood, but after riding MF, I hope Intanim's got the bid. ;) )

-------------
WHOO!
What do you guys think is a bigger deal record wise, longest drop or tallest coaster? Just wondering.

-------------
Whats life if you never get to the point?
MF:26
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/mckinnie
Usually tallest coaster gets more attention than longest drop. Although the longest drop is whats important when you are riding, example would be American Eagle at SFGAm. The hill is 127ft tall but the drop is 147ft dropping through a ravine. A 20ft difference is a big deal. *** This post was edited by Chitown on 7/21/2000. ***
I'd care more about biggest drop than tallest coaster, like Chitown said--because that's what you feel when riding.

A question, though.
Would the tallest coaster not have the longest drop? If it didn't, that seems to me like a waste of sorts.

-------------
WHOO!

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service