1966 Cedar Point Brochure

I just got this off eBay and felt I had to share it with the world. Enjoy.

http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com/Brochures.html

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Jason

I'd forgotten all about the "Circus Lounge" and all the beers I had there. (the picture with the blue round seats) It was located right where the parking lot is for Breakers East and across from the "dorms". Thanks for reminding me. Lot of good times there.

Interesting that the season was only May 28 through Labor Day. There would be a "fanatic revolt" if they tried to shorten it to that now!

Hey, I heard a rumor that Top Thrill Dragster is sinking...

I like how Blue Streak is just "roller coaster" and the Sky Ride is "flying coaster"

I'm surprised that Silver Dollar was not labeled "eating coaster"

EDIT: Spoke too soon..

Miss Ohio was hel there? Why is everything on Fire?

:-P *** Edited 1/18/2006 1:43:35 PM UTC by Coastern3rd***

The sky ride was not called flying coaster, it says sky ride at both ends. The flying coaster is the circle to the right of scrambler. One thing I've been tring to figure out is what the white rectangle along the path next to "Facination." That is aproximatly where "Broadway trip was located, but rcdb doesn't say exactly when it was removed.

Jason

Re;white triangle

I think they are trying to outline the picnic shelters that were there at that time. The metal type shelters were moved to make room for Jumbo Jet. The shelters that are now located along side the Blue Streak picnic area were in fact those shelters. They moved them there intact using an army of small forklifts out through the parking lot and around - it was quite a site. The circle to the right of Scrambler might be the Trabant. The original Trabant was removed and replaced with a new Trabant around 1972 ish and it was on that site. The old was removed and the new installed all on same day.

I'm not familiar with Trabant. Does it look like something that cvould be called a Flying Coaster? Because it says Flying Coaster on the Map.

Google Images Search for 'Trabant Ride'

That's what it looks like. I can see how it could be called a flying coaster.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Jason

Your right - I missed that (flying coaster) wonder if it's a misprint

Trabant # 1 & 2 were located right beside the Scrambler, where that white circle is. Though I can remember perimeter road running accross the midway right there also in 64 & 65, towards the administration building then left to the hotel (the "new" perimeter road" was built around 67 or 68). Also if you look close the rectagular piece near spiral says "games stand" ??? hummmm the plot thickens. The metal picnic shelters were there though and were moved for Jumbo Jet. I say ----- # 1 Trabant was there around 66 to 68 (new). Also notice 9 towers for the Sky Ride haha instead of 3

Thanks Jugga, I usualy check FlatRides.com, but i didn't think to this time.

Well the games stand is behind the other white rectangle i'm looking at.

I have a 1964 brochure coming soon, I'm not sure if it has a map, but I will most definatly scan it when I get it. I also just posted the 1973 or 1974 that I was asking about a few weeks back.

No, the Flying Coaster was not a Trabent. I believe the Flying Coaster was already gone when CP had it's first Trabent.

The Flying Coaster consisted of individual cars attached to the center axle via an arm that allowed up and down motion of the cars. The cars rolled on the ground with a pneumatic tire. The ride had a ramp, sort of like a water ski ramp, which launched the car into the air. Each arm had a hydraulic dampener on it which allowed the car to fall back to earth at a slow speed. It made a pretty soft landing. You got to go off the ramp maybe ten times in each ride cycle.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I think the only Flying Coaster left is Kennywood's Kangaroo:

http://www.kennywood.com/attractions/classic.php#

The Trabant was a ride very similar to the Schwabinchen, but made bya different manufacturer (Chance vs Mack)

Scott W. Short
- Proud member of the Out-Of-Town Coaster Weirdos

I was trying to remember what the flying coaster was. My first trip to the park was in 1966. Once Pete described it, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

On the inside top view of the brochure, there is a picture of the "robbers" near the train. Kids used to be given popguns so we could help defend the train against the robbers.

And I definitely remember perimeter road cutting across. There were metal or cement pilons marking where the road was.

I'd rather die living than live like I'm dead

When were Sky Ride's cabins replaced?

2005/2006: Cedar Point - Millennium Force
2007/2008/2009: Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom - Tomorrowland Speedway
2008: Hard Rock Park - Maximum RPM! Opening Supervisor
2008/2009: Universal Orlando - Men in Black: Alien Attack Team Leader, Guest Services Coordinator

TTD

Replaced somewhere around 67' - 68'

They were getting in dire need of attention. Ironically enough (not to many people know this) the cabins on Sky Ride now, WERE the cabins from Frontier Lift - repainted. The 2nd. generation Sky Ride cabins were getting dire also - so when FTL went bye bye the cabins were recycled there. The old round cabins sat out in the field that is now camper village till everyone got tired of looking at them and they went to the scrap yard.

OLDCPR

The posts were steel pipe filled with concrete.

Jason

The first rectangle you mentioned (and I did not see DAA) - is I think the games building as they are now. That back one - that says "Games stand" I can't remember that one - other than those metal picnic shelter I mentioned earlier. Only thought is the food stands near Spiral - could they be those "game stands"

I have to say Jason's brochures really bring back the memories. I used to love the train robbers. Anyone remember that they used to have a hobo roaming the train station back in the sixties?

There was a lot of charm to CP back in 1966. The park back then was every bit as fun as the park is today.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Thank's Pete :)

I've now figured out how to merge pictures using photoshop. 2 of the pics from the 1966 brochure are now one larger picture, plus I've added a 1984 Brochure.

How much did you pay for these?

2005/2006: Cedar Point - Millennium Force
2007/2008/2009: Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom - Tomorrowland Speedway
2008: Hard Rock Park - Maximum RPM! Opening Supervisor
2008/2009: Universal Orlando - Men in Black: Alien Attack Team Leader, Guest Services Coordinator

I enjoyed the 100 things to do on the 84 brochure. Seems like I did all 100 of those as a kid back then. Too bad you can only do about 50 of the things on the list now :(.

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

For what I've seen some things go for, I feel they were not expensive at all, the most i paid was for the 1964 that I'm about to get. It was $38, the 1966 was $28.50, and the other one was less than $10 if i remember correctly. I just got the 2 from the 60's, I've had the other one for a long time, so I don't really remember what I paid for them. everything else I currently have is 1998 ane newer and I got those myself (so they were free). I have a few others in the works though.

Speaking of eBay, did you guys see the mint condition 1902 Cedar Point Season Pass? Last I checked it was going for $71.01 and still has 4 days to go. (I definatly won't be buying that one)
*** Edited 1/20/2006 2:11:19 PM UTC by Jason Hammond***

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service