Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

You can understand the reality and still enjoy the thought of the possibilities and be hopeful of something cool happening. It’s not one or the other.

And you can still enjoy those thoughts regardless of what Brandon, myself, or anyone else here says in response. What cannot be denied is the comedic timing of the "...reality" response.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Well yes it was haha and I will, but what is not fun is having any idea other than reality be poo poo’d 20 minutes after it is posted. That’s fine there’s other mediums for speculation. Just remember here being a good place for speculation and fun discussion but I must have mistaken. Have a nice day!

Last edited by JL42,

JL42:

You can understand the reality and still enjoy the thought of the possibilities and be hopeful of something cool happening. It’s not one or the other.

This is one area I struggle with. I'm sure we all want something cool, but our pipe dreams are just that....dreams. I look at things primarily from a financial point of view as it is the world I come from. Regardless of the record revenues and increased profits of late, this is a project that was not anticipated like most major projects are. Its not like the Cap Ex budget has $50mil sitting in it for a massive redo of TTD. Given its current and previous issues, the settlement for the most recent incident, and its operational and maintenance costs, I'm surprised there is/was any effort to save it. I'm not gonna lie, I labeled it as a goner when it didn't reopen for the remainder of the 2021 season.

That being said, I would much rather be here reading posts from y'all than those on social media sites who have no clue as to physical, mathematical, financial, or engineering restraints. Yes, we have a few crazy ideas, but for the most part I think we recognize and accept them as such.

Last edited by Tennessee_CP_Fan,

Nick

Would it be cool to have a 555' spiral spike taken backwards? Absolutely, but it's not realistic, and ideas divorced from reality are kinda pointless. After all, if we're divorcing ourselves from the constraints of the real world, why stop at 555'? May as well enclose the trains in pressurized cabins and have it go to the moon and back. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

I will say that the craftsmanship of the animation is very high, and deserves credit there. It's just not something that translates to the real world.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

To the moon....why didn't we think of this before? Joint venture with SpaceX.....somebody call Elon!

Could even play Sinatra's "Fly me to the moon" in the queue....oh wait...that's a love song, so maybe not. Don't want people feeling like they need to drop their cigarettes....

Nick

I should have clarified that the heights were a little too generous but the concept with the current top hat you wouldn’t need 555’. Maybe 250’/300’, that’s reasonable and creates a hype of something I’d ride and want to ride again. Just retheming and changing the launch, I will ride once to say I did it but it’s not something I want to continue to wait hours in line for. Is it cheaper, yes, does it make me want to stop what I’m doing and head to Cedar Point to ride it, no.

As for the finances, how do we know Cedar Fair hasn’t been planning this for sometime? The ride has been unreliable and down for multiple months before the incident. To the point I hadn’t been on it for 3 to 4 years. They always talk about their 5 year plans to think this wasn’t a topic of discussion at some point before 2021 is unrealistic I feel.

Last edited by JL42,

JL42:

Just retheming and changing the launch, I will ride once to say I did it but it’s not something I want to continue to wait hours in line for. Is it cheaper, yes, does it make me want to stop what I’m doing and head to Cedar Point to ride it, no.

I promise I am not picking you apart here, but step away from being an enthusiast for a minute and think of the average CP visitor. They will ride a reimagined TTD and will wait hours for it.

Nick

JL42:

Well yes it was haha and I will, but what is not fun is having any idea other than reality be poo poo’d 20 minutes after it is posted.

Should he have waited 30 minutes? An hour? How long is long enough before your pipe dream gets shattered?

PyroKinesis09:

Should he have waited 30 minutes? An hour? How long is long enough before your pipe dream gets shattered?

You missed the point, but at least 3-5 business day.

Last edited by JL42,

djDaemon:

Capacity would be, what, maybe 400 PPH?

Still better than Drager’s average day with all the down time…

Ravine Flyer II - The Gravity Group does it again.

All I want is for the webcams to capture another construction worker taking a leak. Call it a 20th anniversary retro experience

Tennessee_CP_Fan:

I promise I am not picking you apart here, but step away from being an enthusiast for a minute and think of the average CP visitor. They will ride a reimagined TTD and will wait hours for it.

The general public that won’t let Cedar Point post about this ride with the comments on? In the world of viral media people are more informed for better or worse.

If people were willing to wait hours to ride the original TTD, why do you think that they won't wait hours for the reimagined TTD, even if the revamp is only a new launch?

I think you know the answer to that question.

People will wait hours for anything.

Yes they are! Just look at what's happening at

Westminster Hall as we speak. And that's just

to be rushed by a closed box with who-knows-

what inside. 22 hours for that?

Last edited by DaveDzRochNY,

Promoter of fog.

Just got back from the park, almost all of the break fins on the launch are gone, end of the cable launch is gone. That is all I could see. Would love to share photos if there was a way.

Most of the fins were gone last Sunday, as well. From Millennium I could see that something was different on dragster. It took me waaaay to long, plus a ride on iron dragon to realize that the break fins were gone. As of Sunday, I think the brackets from the breaks were left sitting on top of the track.

I’d love to see some photos as well, but I’m not sure how to get them without violating the on ride camera rules.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2022, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service