Closing due to weather??

Hello all,

I know the weather is the most unpredictable thing, but planning trip to Cedar Point July 10th-12th. Forecast says 40% showers/thunderstorms and wondering what it takes to shutdown the park to make the trip a bust.

Tim

You must be logged in to post

Answers

Honestly, it all depends on the weather. How intense are the rain showers? Any chance of thunder storms? What are the manufacturer's recommendations? The wind speed and direction? Also, what weather service do you use?

As far as the big coasters go, TTD will go down for any precipitation. If the rain is steady, a fair amount of the big coasters will often reduce their train numbers or just close. If the rain is heavy, you can forget about riding anything pretty much. If lightning is seen, then everything will shut down for 30 minutes at least, or until the storm passes.

Here's a link to the policies that Cedar Point has. Cedar Point policies. That should be quite helpful. Reading the forecast now, it seems like the 12th is your best bet to avoid the bad weather.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

For the park to close due to weather, it has to be EXTREMELY bad like an all day downpour and high winds. You should be fine for your trip. If it does get bad, stuff will shut down until the bad weather passes but they are quick to reopen rides.

Timch29 -

Thanks for the replies. Looked at pushing the trip out a few days, but hitting Kings Island afterwards and theu have storms later. We're staying at Kalahari, so not a complete loss.

Aside- If it rains pretty steady and Wicked Twister is open, ride it in the front seat. The visual of the rain funneling down that spiral is friggin sweet.

The park almost never closes due to bad weather. But since 2007, Cedar Point has one of the *worst* rain policies of any park as far as rides closing for rain. I kid you not when 30 seconds of mist will shut down coasters/take the remaining few down to one train. It's ridiculous and I just don't understand it. But the park itself - it'll take a *lot* to close early.

Skyhawk06 -

Really? What was the rain policy like before 2007?

Dutchman -

Going back to the "good old days" of the 1970's, pretty much everything ran until the midway flooded, which it did a couple of times the last year I worked (1974). If the winds really kicked up they would shut the Giant Wheel down, as well as the Sky Ride and the Frontier Lift. People would get drenched on them anyway.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service